What fits what?

ultimag

Don't know if this is the right place to post this......if not, let me know where it should be.
Anyone know of a reference that tells what fits what? By that I mean what parts would be interchangeable on different Jeep years/models? I had VW's for years and always had references as to what parts would interchange.......is it possible that someone has done the same with Jeeps, or is it 'trial by error'?:shades:

You'll find that with Jeeps alot, if not most parts are interchangeable. Let us know what Jeep you're looking to swap parts with and we can go from there.

We have a 1988 Wrangler Sport. I was just wondering if there was some reference publication to show interchangeability of parts. It would help from time to time if say you happened on a Jeep or Jeep parts and wondered if they would fit your ride.

there is nothing like a reference packet for that. you can look on the forums and usually there is a thread with what people have found that works but nothing written out.

In the Jeep community there is a much looser definition of "interchangeable". I'm currently installing a Ford Explorer rear axle in my wrangler because it's considered a fairly easy swap - this entails cutting all the metal brackets off the old axle and welding on a custom bracket kit...

I've never seen a list of interchangeable parts - most often it's starting with a problem, like wanting to upgrade your axles, then picking from the array of possibilities.

Thanks....first Jeep.....lotsa VDubs under the belt. Just have to learn as much as possible and adlib the rest!!

yup, ha ha ha. that will be what you are doing, almost literally.

you a water cooled guy or an air cooler?

Part's fitment rule.
1) Does it look like the original part?-- you can make it work:shades:
2) Does it look better that the original part?---you can make it work;)
3)Will it work better than the original part?---It'll work8)
4)Does it look like you your not going to the hospital for this to make it work ? Git'e'r dun!!:shock:
5) If you can cut, drill, rewire , and weld it, It will work.:cry:

AIR COOLED!! Bugs, Kombis, Things, Meyers Manx to name a few..
I kinda feel like this Jeep thing is gonna be an adventure!

i come from the same stuff. i had a 70 and 71 ghia, one an autostick. and a 68, 70, and 71 beetle.

Back