Big issue with My 2008 Jeep Sahara

SaharaDad

I was trying to take my 4-wheel drive up the snow-covered mountain to get to my house. When it became clear that I wasn't going to make it in low 4, I got out and winched up to a tree on my property in order to get a boost. (The snow is about 4 inches and fresh) As I'm winching up the grade, the Jeep just died. I have some power, but she won't start. The battery is good, and I've checked the fuses and circuit breakers. What could have happened?

Were you winching with it running?

Check your battery connections first. If that does not resolve the issue, try a jump start....the winch may have depleted the battery if the battery was weak, cold, and/or partially depleted.

That would have to be one big winch loaded for a long time to do that to a running Jeep. Cars run on the alternator when running, charging the battery. Now if your alternator died, different story. Check it. The alternator that is..

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Agree with above!

How are you determining the battery is good? Voltage or Load test?

Check your cables and connections. The high current could melt connections esp at single point connections.

Many keep the engine at 1500-2000 rpm while wenching. It increases the alternator output and less drain on the battery. Second back up batteries are also used. Did you have the RPMs up or just idle?
Good experiment
https://www.matec-conferences.org/articles/matecconf/pdf/2017/04/matecconf_aigev2017_01076.pdf

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Back