Grand Cherokee Preventive Maintenance

MaxAvidy

Hey all,
I just bought my first Jeep today. A 2002 Overland with the 4.7 H/O with 92,000 miles on it. It's going to need new rear tires (right now I'm doing mostly road, but I'll be moving to Colorado at the end of the summer) brake pads. I'm going to give it an oil change take a look at the air filter and change that too if need be. How about the transmission fluid? Anyway I don't know what's been done with the car but it seems to be in pretty good working order. I was wondering if anyone had any more suggestions or even comments on what I might want to put in the car (oil, pads, etc). Any advice would be much appreciated!

Dave

P.S. I'm thinking of taking it to a dealer to get it inspected to have them do a quick look-see (if that's even worth it). I'm not sure how inclined they would be to part me from my hard earned money for no reason.

dealers are the best at trying to get you to spend more on repairs because they charge more than most other shops. I would just take it to an authorized state inspection shop that doesn't do repairs, that way you get an honest answer since they aren't there to make money.

2002 overland is a good buy. It most likely has the upcountry supension pkg along with the skids and tow hooks. Of corse it also has the 4.7 HO! I think the trans fluid is ATF 4 but not sure. It would ge a good idea to get a trans service done on it. Go ahead and flush all the fluids. Including the radiator. For tires check out Treadwright.com. I would go with the Wardens. Be sure to ask for the BFG carcus. If not treadwright go with real BFG all terains. You will need them with the Colorado weather. Good luck..

Back