2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport Hood Problem

SweetJohnnyCage

Hey all. I'm a total car dunce, but I know how to use a wrench when needed. The issue I'm having is with my hood. For some reason, it simply will not lock in place when I close it. The lever that you pull to open the hood is always partially pulled out & loose. The hood locks on the passenger side, but never locks on the driver side. I can push it all the way down, but it just pops right back up. Last time I got my oil changed, the person put some WD-40 on the bar on the underside of the hood, and it magically closed. Unfortunately, I have no idea what he did that caused it to work again.

So my question is this. Is there any way I can repair this myself without having to go to a mechanic/body shop? If it's simply replacing a bar or something, I'm fully capable of doing that, provided I don't have to start removing vital organs of the car itself. Thank you in advance!

Try applying some lube on both latches and cable if possible. Check the cable ends and make sure there's no kinks or pinch on them. Test the latch that's inop by manually locking it with a screw driver and releasing it with the lever. If that's not latching, make sure the cable is not stuck in a pulled position otherwise you'll probably need a new cable.

Back