Heater Hose Break on Trail (long post)

Sound_Man

I was going up hill on a dirt road that ascends for about 5 miles. Nothing to abnormal or really steep, it is an improved or graded dirt road. I pulled a pop-up trailer up this road the day before without issue. I did notice that it was running a little warmer than it was earlier but not in the red or close to it. I was not going very fast about 25 mph when I started loosing power, not cutting out but just not speeding up when getting on the gas pedal. Suddenly steam started coming out from under the hood. That was when a heater hose went. The top heater hose that goes back to the over flow tank ruptured right next to the housing that holds the thermostat. It ruptured from extreme pressure not wear. Luckily there was a stream right off the side of the road and I was able to get water and a passerby gave me a full bottle of anti-freeze. He wouldn’t take any money for it just said to help out the next guy. People in Colorado are cool that way.
I let the motor cool down, trimmed back the heater hose and put it back on. I pulled the top radiator hose and filled it as much as I could. Put it all back together and it seemed to run cooler than it did before the break. I thought everything was going to be okay. Well I was wrong. I was able to pull the trailer back off the mountain (it is all downhill) and get back to my house. I let it sit for a few hours and went to start it back up again and it died as soon as I gave it gas. It started right back up and I took off. I got a few miles down the road and it was overheating. I turned back around and headed for the house. Once I got it parked it boiled over from the overflow tank and was in the red.
From my experience with motors this leads me to believe that the thermostat sticking or closing. It did it once and blew the hose apart and the next time it gave way at the overflow tank. I am not really positive that is the culprit but I am going to pull the thermostat out and see if it does it again. If not there must be some blockage in the cooling system that caused this. The water pump is fairly new, about 5,000 miles old. There is no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. The lower hose that is known to collapse looks good and I can feel the spring in it.
If anyone has had the same type of problem or has seen this before please post a reply with the cause and cure. I will keep you all up to date with what I find. I seem to fix one problem only to have another show up.
[addsig]

Sorry to hear that hopefully someone can help
you ...so I am just going to bump you back up to the top..... :-D [addsig]

I pulled the thermostat, flushed the entire system very heavily and put it back together. There was some small debris from the ruptured hose in the system but not much. The thermostat did not appear to be covered with crud and it was not stuck. I ran it without a thermostat for a few hours and had no problems with it overheating or excessive pressure. I took it apart again and put in a 185-degree thermostat and did the flush/fill routine again. It seems to be running very cool now. I did notice that I have a bit of valve clatter that was not there before. I may have a stuck valve now or some other problem from it getting so hot.
I am still really curious as to why I blew the hose and wound up with so much pressure in the top half of the system.
:-? :-?
[addsig]

Ever since it overheated it has been running very poorly. I think a few things went bad all at once.

It seemed as though the electronic advance that is in the distributor was not working properly and the oil pressure has been very low and it will not downshift with a good romp on the gas pedal.

When I started to investigate this the first thing I did was pull the distributor cap to look for moisture. I found a lot of moisture. The bottom of the distributor was full of oil. I guess the seal on the distributor went out.

I don't know if the sending unit for the oil pressure went out or the oil pump. When I pull the wire off of the sending unit the gauge goes all the way up. When I look in the valve cover with the engine running all of the rockers that I can see are getting oil sprayed all over them. The flow does increase with the RPM's. The gauge stays at 10 psi or lower all the time now. No matter what the RPM's are.

I don't even know where to start with the shifting problem.

It does not overheat anymore. But with everything else going on there really is no way to be sure that is fixed.

edited by: Sound_Man, Jul 16, 2003 - 10:49 AM[addsig]

The overheating came from the thermostat. It was stuck and the heater was turned off. This is what caused all of the presure in the top section of the cooling system.

I replaced the oil presure sending unit and the guage is working properly now.

I am going to replace the distributor today as soon as the motor cools down enough to work on it again.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why it will not down-shift? :-?

I am not to good with transmission's.......yet :) If I have to tear it apart to fix it I will let you all know how it goes.

edited by: Sound_Man, Jul 19, 2003 - 08:12 AM[addsig]

It's an automatic ?.............try spraying a cleaner on the clucth arms...I had the same problem in an old Aspen.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Back