Electrical Failure

Well, it appears that my 90 Cherokee has several of the standard Jeep problems: overheating, a noise in the front right wheel well when I cut the wheel hard, and, as of last night, a sudden loss of all electrical power. Oh, also seatbelts that do not catch when I slam on the brakes.

I would not go so far as to describe myself as mechanically inclined, but since I bought this jeep a couple months ago, I have been able to fix a couple problems, or at least keep the truck from blowing up, yet. But I am hoping I can get some more pointers on this electrical problem.

Here is what happened. Last night, I came home and parked at the top of a steep hill. I realized I had not cut my wheels into the curb, so I turned the key again but absentmindedly did not push in the clutch. The lights and heater were still on when I started up, so I imagine there was some drain on the power. The jeep lurched as it will when you do not use the clutch, and then everything died. I figured maybe I had blown a fuse. Nothing in the manual seemed to account for so general a failure. So I went online and read about a guy here who had problems with his battery cables. I went back out, jiggled the negative cable, and the lights came on. I turned the ignition. There was a clunk and the lights went out. I went back out and jiggled the wire again. Same thing. The third time, I noticed a pretty big spark. So I quit. This morning, I came outside, cleaned up the negative battery terminal and resecured the cable. The jeep started right up.

Do I need to get new cables? Again, I am a mechanical bonehead. While the jeep certainly seems like a good vehicle to learn rudimentary repairs on, anything too complicated is probably gonna be a challenge for me at this point. But I would certainly appreciate any advise.

[addsig]

if jiggling the battery cables had any effect on your jeep, its gotta be something with either the battery, the terminals, the wires, or the ground. follow every big wire you can and verify that you don't see any exposed wires or anything that looks like it shouldn't be. if you can't see anything, take your battery and get it tested.[addsig]

Back