starter relay

89cherokee

The manual calls it a starter solenoid, the parts place calls it a starter relay. I think it looks like a relay. In any event, the jeep would not start the other day so I had it towed home. I tried starting it, and the red/black wire from the relay got so hot it melted the wire cover. My manual does not cover the wiring clear enough to tell me where the red/black wire connects. Any ideas? I just replaced the fuel pump last week and had 5 days of great driving. I'm replacing the relay this morning, but in case this doesn't solve the probelm, has anyone else had a short like this?

Well, new starter relay ($72 at dealer) did not solve the problem... going to search the forum for fuel pump relay information...

ok, here's what I'm thinking....something has stopped the fuel pump from spinning inside the tank. The starter relay is pushing electricity to the pump and the pump is not rotating...hence the melted wire. My current answer is to drain the tank, drop the tank, remove the pump and see why its not running. Not thrilled about this answer...if anyone has a better solution, let me know?

The car ran fine with the new fuel pump for almost 7 days, so I ruled out wires mixed up.

Going through 2 fuel pumps, you may want to remove the tank anyhow - to drain (possibly replace) it. It may have too much junk (dirt, water, rust) in it.

IT is possible you just bought a bad fuel pump, but why risk having to do it a third time?

I pulled the 3 prong connector that connects to the fuel pump...and checked for 12 volts. It hits 12 volts for about 2 seconds and then Zero. I tried the XJnick idea of bypassing the ceramic resistor on the engine wall. Still dropped back to zero. I believe I was hearing a click under the dash when it dropped to zero. Is the fuel relay near the ceramic resistor? Or is it somewhere under the dash near the fuse panel?

I think I found the relay (2nd one in from the front of the jeep). I switched them around and still no power after 2 seconds. My question now is ...why would the relay stop the 12 volts to the pump? I hear a click and the volts go to zero. Shouldn't I hear a click as the relay takes over and runs 12 volts? (or 9 volts through the resistor block.)

The last chapter...I removed the gas tank (easier the second time) and pulled the pump. The top rubber grommet had moved and the body bracket was touching one of the wire terminals (hence the big short and wire melt down). I adjusted the grommet, tightened the connection holding the metal bracket, replaced the pump in the tank, and the jeep runs great again!

A few suggestions for future pump replacers... be kind to the metal lock ring on the tank, the dealer wants $92 for a new one. Check the bracket nut holding the bracket around the grommets and pump body...it may be loose. And someone on the forum suggested buying only the pump and reusing the other parts and saving $63. Another good idea.

Back