Need help! 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited V8

SLynn

Alright, Ive got a few things I need help with.

First off, a few months ago it began doing what I can only describe as making a ka-thunk noise. It happens when I am stopped, either right when Ive stopped or after Ive been stopped for a while. Never in park and it only happens once per stop. Ive also noticed recently that it kind of lurches while Im driving. I have not noticed a pattern like temperature or how hard I brake. Also, brakes are fine. Just replaced 'em. It sorta feels like something is slipping off of something else and falling into place?

Secondly, my Jeep has a sun/moon roof and it leaks. Whenever it rains the entire passenger side of the front seat gets soaked, including the floor. If it rains really heavily, it even leaks all the way into the backseat via the cloth on the ceiling. I had to tape it up for now til I figure out what is going on. My uncle thinks it may be the switch relay. Any merit to that?

Lastly, and not so important, I was looking into getting a keyless entry remote. Ive seen some advertised that they need to be programmed by a dealer and others that say they come with instructions. I am just a little skeptical of the DIY ones, just want to know if they are legitimate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Welcome to Jeepz.com SLynn

1. Where does the noise come from? Front or rear of the Jeep?
2. You could have clogged / broken sunroof drains, or a bad sunroof seal. Start by testing the drains:
Open sunroof. Take about 8 ounces of water, and pour it into corner of the sunroof opening. You will see a pencil size hole in the furthest corner of the roof, under all the sunroof stuff. Pour the water into that hole, if it drains into car, you know that is the problem.

This is one sunroof drain

Leak 1.jpg

It feeds a blue line that runs down each A pillar, and out the bottom of the Jeep

Leak 2.jpg

Leak 3.jpg

3. Sorry, I don't know too much about keyless entry.

As for the noise, its definitely coming from the front but underneath.

I actually ran some water down the tubes before I taped up the sunroof and there didnt seem to be a problem with drainage. I think Im gonna try again though when I get a chance.

Thanks for your response!

What did the mechanic do (in case someone else has the same problem)?

Back