Newbie having grand cherokee issues

kaylaah

I recently bought a 93 grand Cherokee as my first vehicle. It needed a bit of work and it is all finally done! The engine sounds great and today we took it for a spin. We started smelling a burning smell, I can't really describe it. But I figured it was a bit of paint that got in under the good from painting it. But as soon as we smelt it we went home. Turned it off and checked everything out. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was that there was power steering fluid that looked like it had came out of the cap. Nothing else is leaking. Also I don't know if it matters or means any thing but while driving it, it seemed like the transmission was having a hard time switching gears. The rpms went up to over 4 every time. Anyways... After checking it out we decided to see if it would still smell, so we started
It and it turned on, then was idling and just died and won't turn back on. Any suggestions? Or similar experiences would be very very helpful!

Kayla

n3rdpwdr said:
Does it crank?
Yes it makes it's noise like it wants to turn on, but just doesn't. We put some gas in the carb and it started then instantly died. So It isn't getting fuel but I don't know how to check the fuel
Filter or the pump

What type of work was done to it before this happenend? My first thought would be that the fuel pump went out, but from the burning smell you discribe you may have burnt a wire for the fuel pump. If you put fuel in the carb and it started then you def have fuel dilivery issues. Pump, filter, burnt wire. I would look under the hood around the exhaust for burnt wires. My guess is on the fuel pump though. You can check for blown fuses to under the dash and under the hood. There is probably a fuse that runs the fuel pump.

We've checked the fuses and they all seem fine, as for work done to it, it was painted, a new air filter was put in, gave it an oil change. And then changed a bunch of
Those little rubber hoses because they were all cracked. That's about it. Nothing to technical or crazy. Where is the fuel pump located on mine?

Just an update: after leaving it alone last night after all the issues... IT STARTED THIS MORNING and seems to be running absolutely fine. :S now I'm even more boggled then beforez

Wouldnt it throw a code if its the sensor? Is you check engine light on? unfortunatly your fuel pump is inside your gas tank, so its kinda a pain to take out. Your filter is under the jeep along the frame rail, looks like a small soup can. If you had the vacunm hoses changed and one came off or loose it could act as you are discribing. You can take the fuel line off at the filter to check the pump if you wanted. It does kinda sound like a sensor or the pump going out to me. My dad had a bad crank positioning sesor on his car once and it would start sometimes and not others. If your check engine light is on, autozone, atvanced auto, and the such will read your codes for free, just go in and tell them you would like your engine codes read.

None of the lights are on or anything. How do you tell if the filter needs to be changed?

Can anyone tell me where in my jeep the fuel sensor is? Everything was fine and then it did it again

What edition do you have? Limited, Laredo, Sport? Does yours have the communications center under the A/C?

I have a 93 grand Cherokee limited. You mean in the dash? It has that screen that shows when my doors are open

Yes the screen. I've noticed on mine that sometimes it will not start but cranks. When that happens the "screen" will flash as well as the headlights, indicating that the factory anti-theft has been activated. I know it sounds weird but try using the key to unlock the driver's door and see if it will start. As I understand, time will not reset the anti-theft.

That happens to me all the time. Drives me nuts. Lol but that's not the problem :( I've been doing some research and I am assuming it's the sensor for fuel

you said you poured gas into the carb,,is it carb or Throttle body? My commanche did that when the wires under the breather were damaged,,just a thought

Back