foglight switches

Are you talking about a factory replacement? If so, I think you'll have to go to the dealer for that. I'd just get a generic rocker switch from autozone... much less expensive. Just be sure you run the fog lights off a relay (I melted a switch trying to use those cheap ones near there amp rating :roll: ).

If you don't already have fog lights, you can take advantage of the relay and wiring that are installed at the factory (regardless whether the Jeep came with fog lights.) Saves time and money :-D

-Nick

edited by: XJNick, Jul 09, 2003 - 04:44 PM[addsig]

Nick do you know where the foglight relay is for an 88 XJ? I´ve been doing a couple of other projects and have been keeping an eye open for it (and the wiring), with no luck. One book said it was behind the right headlight, another said it was behind the left.[addsig]

Mudderchuck,

The relay is at the left fender by the left headlight. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be mounted or not, mine was just laying down by the airbox. Once you find the relay, you'll see the wiring coming out of it.

The relay power comes from Fuse link H (at the starter relay.) Then the two fog light plugs which come out of the relay should be tucked inside the front bumper. The relay coil should get power thru a switch connected to the headlamp Hi/Low dimmer switch. On mine this wire ran to the fuseblock and dissapeared. So the only new wiring I had to add was from the headlamp dimmer to a switch then to the fog lamp relay.

Also, since my fog light relay had been sitting for many years never used, it was stuck in the off position. Hitting it against the side of the Jeep several times took care of that :-D.

-Nick

edited by: XJNick, Jul 10, 2003 - 03:32 AM[addsig]

Thanx for the info Nick, I wasn´t looking forword to removing the grill, headlights and who knows what else, on a relay hunt. You narrowed it down for me some. I´ve got a new set of KC clones, I´m gonna put on pretty soon.
Finally got the motor running well. Turned out to be a combination of things. Mostly standard tune up stuff and one loose (corroded) connector.[addsig]

Back