TJ Turn signal flasher

berettajeep

Hello to one and all here is your question....

My g/f's '00 TJ has quite an annoying problem.

One day about a month ago the jeep was top and door less. It started to rain. Bad. :x I rushed to put the top on, and only the top (everything else was at home)

Anyhoo as I was driving to my friends house the jeeps turn signal flasher kept on clicking away.no lights are coming on at that time,just clicking. When I turn on the turn signal left or right or turn on the hazards everything works properly.

So I get to my friends house use his air tank and dry out the steering column. This helps slow down the amount of click to only 1 about every 2-4 minutes. I assumed its still slightly wet and once it dries everything will be good..

So its been a month or so. and still the clicking...

My question is have anybody here have similiar problems?

Yep.....have no idea why. Sometimes it clicks a few times in the mornings, and occasionally after I use a turn signal. It only clicks a couple of times and then quits though, so I haven't really put any time into it. If you find out what it is, post it so I'll know too!

Compression fittings illegal in NY

I have the same problem myself. That clicking gets annoying after a while. Mine also corroded the contacts for the bright light switch, so I have to jiggle the turn signal handle a bit for the lights to come on. It's in the combo switch itself and not the flasher unit.

Haha.. know exactly what your talking about with the headlight problem Raven... and Id say your right that its all related. Kinda freaky when ya try to hit the dimmer switch and the lights go completely out.

Anyway, I cant say for sure, but Id say Raven is right, and some of the contacts and such in that switch are corroded.

Nathan

So I played today....
I removed the turn signal switch, very easy.

Once I got the switch out, I took it apart (only 4 torx screws holding it together) (I dont recommend taking it apart either :wink: )

There was some corrosion inside on terminals. the grease inside turned a blue-ish color.

I lightly sanded all contact points put it back toghther.

The good news is the jeep did not catch on fire! :D

oh and it has not clicked yet in about a half-hour of operation, I'll find out if it does tomorrow on the way to/from work and update everybody who cares....

If this does succeed and does not click, I will have to take the switch apart again and add electrical grease

That's the same thing I did with mine. I worked for about 6 months, then it started again, so I just replaced the entire switch and added more grease to it and sprayed it down with silicone spray before putting it in. Hasn't happened again, and that was over 2 years ago. :D

What to put in your empty space......?

Also, there was a recall from Chrysler/Jeep about the steering column. Something about the wiring and if it got wet could possibly start a fire......might want to look into it.

Back