prarie's 14 bolt quest

prariepunk

I'm going Tuesday to look for a 14b, FF, 8 lug, rear. What should I look for, what should i look out for? Pros/cons? HELP REQUESTED B4 Tuesday.

i can get a 70" VAN AXLE but it's a 2wd van, will that be a problem?

Not a jeep Q, but still need help!

Not at all, what is the van? Chevy, Ford, Dodge? cause I think fords had steerling rear?

Thats a deal! sort of, depends on condition. pull the axles to get a better Idea of condition! (real easy, take the nuts off the hub and pull) if there is any rust on the axle, you will be in for a little more than you expect. The rear most likely has taken in water and will need to be acid dipped!

Also, if you can , try to turn the axles before you pull them, get a little gear fluid on them, then pull, if it is a milky looking color or fine metal shards, definatly moisture or has probably been beat up!

RE: 94 Cherokee won

they roll, the van runs but is in rough body condition, I don't know the gears in it.

oh hot d:twisted:m! ! ! What would be a good front axle to run 39"s on? D44? D60? I'd LIKE something affordable. . . Like being the operative word!

A Dana 60 would be the best one to have. But, they are usually around $1500-$2000 for one from a wrecking yard. D44's are usually around $300-$400 though.

Which side is your front diff on now? passenger of driver side?

If it's on the pass. side, a "heavy Duty" 3/4 ton (8-lug) D44 out of a Chevy would be the best one to get.
Or, you could get an 8-lug D44 out of a Dodge.

If it's on the driver side, a high pinion 3/4 ton Ford (8-lug) D44 would be best.

If you want to spend the money (and try to find one) on a D60, I'll give you info on them too.

The heavy duty one would probably be alright. But If you plan to do any rocks or "hardcore" stuff it most likely will not.

If you can afford a D60, that would be the best route.

Transmission woes :(

From experience I have found:

If I go ahead and contact "The Man" and tell "The Man" what I want to do with my rig, and "He" tells me what I need and how much it will cost for "Him" to build it and install it and I pay "The Man" for said work, that it actually comes out cheaper in the long run. I have not wasted my time or exceeded my estimate of the project by 10X to 15X the alotted amount. nor do I have to deal with breakage on the trail because of my lack of experience and poor judgement in any parts or componets that I personally deemed fit for my rig.....
.......because I had "The Man" do it right the first time.

Alass, you will not have the swelling of pride that you "did-it-yoursef"...BUT...the pride you will have when you conquer the Mountain and take your rig to the TOP in front of all your friends......of which you told you did it "ALL BY MYSELF" anyway! :mrgreen:

..heres to "THE MAN"!

where can i find "THE MAN"? does he have an hourly rate or a flat fee :D ? The D60 would be the "BEAST" I want for the front then. What trucks had them? What truck should I look for with a High Steer system?

None will have a high steer setup already on them.

You can get D60's out of both Dodge and Chevy 1 ton trucks.

Here's an AWESOME article about all the highsteer/crossover you ever wanted to know:
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

Here's all the D60 stuff you'll ever want to know:
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana60.htm

Hope those help, cause those are the best articles ever writen about this stuff. Search that site some too...It's all on Dana axles.

Whoa! ! ! Thats almost mind blowing! I don't know now, my mind has a snow blind affect right now. I just want a strong axle to go under my CJ-5, to run 39" Boggers.

dana 60 front end from a chevy or dodge will have a passenger side drop....only ford front axles have the driver side drop....

Back