Hot brakes

MerkL

I believe I remember Joopin having this problem sometime, but I couldn't find the thread. My problem is my brakes are getting to hot and when I get out, I smell burnt rubber and can see smoke coming from my front brakes. It only happens when I have to use my brakes a lot or very hard, like an emergency stop kind of thing. And after using them frequently it will start to pull to the right, like only my right side is working and my left side is doing nothing. I have a '94 YJ and I just put on some bigger meats. Could that be my problem, bigger tires make it harder for my brakes to stop me and it causes them to heat up to much? Any suggestions?

RE: Axel "wrap"

Your caliper is seizing, most likely on the left side. You'll notice that the left rim is too hot to touch, while the right isn't nearly as hot.

You can replace the caliper, or just run the piston back in with a c-clamp and clean around the piston with WD40. I've done this many times and the caliper works fine, until the next time I get it muddy.

Yeah mine got so hot that the grease on the tie rod end was on fire!! It was the Caliper that was getting stuck. But by the time I finally fixed it I needed a new roter and pads, so do it now!!

Oh and if you are driving it and it is pulling to the left, find a water source and spray it on the caliper for a bit. It will open up again... for a little while anyway.

I actually stopped at a big puddle once and splashed water up on the caliper with my hand, it worked!

RE: Frankenstien CJ-7

Slim chance it could also be the rubber brake hose. they do deteriorate.

RE: join date

I tried cleaning it like Bounty said, and it seemed to have worked. I drove it a couple of miles using the brakes at lights, being kind of hard on them, and no pulling. When I got home I got under to see if I could see any smoke or smell burnt rubber, and there was nothing, thank goodness. Another success story for the record books for this site, thanks again Bounty.

RE: Frankenstien CJ-7

If you end up needing a new caliper, I got a rebuilt pair cheap at Autozone.com for my CJ. Better prices than in the store and free shipping.

Back