Front End clicking

EMTSerks

Hey all. I had a clicking in the rear right of the jeep, so I replaced the U-joints, and now that's gone. So, of course, something else goes wrong.. Now I have a similar, but quieter, clicking in the front right. Does this mean I'll have to change the front U-joints?

clicking when going in a straight line, or when turning? Does the clicking stop when you press on the brakes?

Crawl under and grab your driveshaft. If there is any play in it those joints may be bad. Also grab onto your axle shafts and check the u joins in them. There may be minimal play, but if the ears are moving back and forth in relation to each other it's a good possibility they're gone. You also may want to check your unit bearings. Jack up the Jeep and grab the tire with both hands on opposite sides (12 and 6 o'clock) and push with one arm and pull with the other. If there is a significant amount of play when doing this, it's probably a good idea to replace them. Just make sure your lug nuts are tight when you do it so you don't mis-diagnose.

I seem to have a similar problem. I hear a clicking noise when I press the brakes and it gets louder when i am driving at say 45 and need to slow down fast. Also, when i go over speed bumps I hear it only on the front right tire. Could this be my unit bearings or could it be something to do with my brakes? I had the left front unit bearing replaced 5 months ago.

95 wrangler 2.5L

I had the same problem. When I would turn left or right, the front end would pop. Especially while in 4WD. It turned out to be both U-Joints on the front axles. Replaced them and solved the problem. BUT, when I accelerate or go down bumpy roads there is still a rattle underneath. There is slight rotating play on my front driveshaft when you twist it back and forth by hand, but the play is only in the front differential, with no axle play now. so could this be the noise and would there be cause for concern?? I'm not sure how much, if any, play is supposed to be in the front drivshaft.

99 sport
4.0 I-6 Auto
158,000 miles on her too! :rolleyes:

EMT, I would suggest you check all your front end u joints and tie rod connection points including the track bar.

Now I just had weird problem my drivers side, front, spring got into its mind to start turning on me. Funnest thing I have seen, no off roading lately but just street driving. The thing would start to turn for no apparent reason, I would get a popping noise as i turn letting me know the lower end on the pig tail was out of its little pocket.
Now some of the jeeps have a little strap that holds the front coil down into this recess. For some reason mine didn't, or I left it off many of years ago. But I went down to the local bone yard and stole the front clip off an D30 and found a different style on a 95 D35 out of an ZJ. When I got home I was able to drive the rear clips off the ZJ into my front D30, which had the appropriate two holes with the self tapping screws.

Now some of you might want to take a look at your front coils as well for that annoying popping sound.

How much rotating slack is there supposed to be on the front driveshaft when it's not in 4wd? I have checked and double checked everything in the front end and all is tight and secure. The driveshaft is the only thing that has some play in it, but it's not the U Joints on either end. It's kind of like it's loose in the front differential, not really loose, just has some play, but I'm not sure how much play (If Any) that it's supposed to have.

I had a similar problem and it turned out that the U-Bolts needed to be retightened. Mine popped only when cornering at slow speeds (if it did it a high speeds, I did not hear it). Tightening the U-Joints took care of the problem... Of course, mine did it some time after installing a lift, so it was kind of expected...

How much rotating slack is there supposed to be on the front driveshaft when it's not in 4wd? I have checked and double checked everything in the front end and all is tight and secure. The driveshaft is the only thing that has some play in it, but it's not the U Joints on either end. It's kind of like it's loose in the front differential, not really loose, just has some play, but I'm not sure how much play (If Any) that it's supposed to have.

p0pp0p

Thanks! I believe that's the amount of lash that I have. Appreciate the info!

What kind(brand) of U-Joints do you recommend for the two in the front? Are there any upgradeable ones that i could find or does the stock ones perform the same?

Spicer if you can find em. Carquest is Spicer last time I checked, they just don't put the logo on as big. If you look close I believe you can find the Dana diamond on them still.

Back