4" lift on yj, crazy vibrations now...

PembrokeJeep

I just put on a 4" rough country lift on my 95' YJ and now there are really intense vibrations in the drivetrain after second gear. I've been reading and it sounds like I need to buy a SLE and a CV driveshaft, but is there anyway to fix this problem without having to drop the $$??...speaking of dropping, I've already lowered the t-case with the parts the kit came with, I'm on 31" tires...I just bought a new t-case in august and dont want to blow it with all these vibrations...anyone have some suggestions?
thanks alot everyone!

Did the kit come with shims to adjust the pinion angle of the rear axle?

You don't HAVE to get the SYE and CV driveshaft, generally the 1" TC drop is enough to get rid of vibes with a 4" kit. Get a simple magnetic angle finder and verify the angle of the rear axle pinion compared to the angle of the transfer case rear output. They should be parallel to each other for no vibes.

Consider running without the front driveshaft to rule out that end of the driveline.

Yes the RC lift came with shims on the springs to fix the pinion angle, I'll check to see if its the front in the morning, I'll post some pictures of the angles today as well (once there is light outside)...I am pretty sure that the rear drive shaft does not line up parallel with the transfer case even with the TC drop...so I'm guessing thats where the fix has got to be...so Bounty, this sounds less like a serious $$ problem and more like an alignment?

Yes the RC lift came with shims on the springs to fix the pinion angle, I'll check to see if its the front in the morning, I'll post some pictures of the angles today as well (once there is light outside)...I am pretty sure that the rear drive shaft does not line up parallel with the transfer case even with the TC drop...so I'm guessing thats where the fix has got to be...so Bounty, this sounds less like a serious $$ problem and more like an alignment?

You have the 2 options; cheap and lose ground clearance, or $$$ and get the best for the rig... I had the same problem when I lifted my Jeep, and ended up getting the SYE and CV shaft, and now have no vibes. But you can align the angles of the TC output and the pinion, and the vibes should go away (as long as you use the TC drop and make sure the DS is not binding).

This is what you want to achieve:

2joint_angle-2.gif

Now, if you do decide to go with the CV DS, keep in mind that you need to change the rear axle's angle to get rid of the vibrations. This means getting new spring perches (ussually about $15), getting the old perches out, and welding the new ones in place. In the case of a CV shaft, you want the angles to be like this:

cv_angle-2.gif

By the way, in case of the CV shaft, you may give it 1 or 2 degrees of angle for the axle, as when under load, the axle will rotate in the direction opposite to the wheels (axle warp) and then the DS would line up perfectly.

Personally, I recommend the CV shaft, but it wil finally depend on your budget. Hope this helps!

Felipe

Alright that diagram explains alot....so if the rear DC is off, how do I line it up using the Magnetic angle finder? I'm assuming I just rest it on top of the TC, see what angle its at, then rest it on top of my rear DC and see what angle its at, which I'm sure are off...and now how do I go about lining the two up?

I got a magnetic angle finder and it's showing my rear DC to TC pinion off by 1 degree. Is that to much or should that be okay...? and how do I go about adjusting the angle 1 degree...

also, I found that the rear shocks are pressing up against my axle...do I need to flip them around to gain the clearance and will that affect my ride?

i had the same prob w/my first 4" lift(procomp - btw - NEVER BUY IT!!!! newbie mistake b/4 jeepz!) on my old 91 ... i adjusted the shims and it went away... as for the shock/axle thing... had the same prob also - i just took a hammer and "adjusted" the clearance - not enuff to affect the shock but enuff to make sure it wouldnt rub enuff over time to rupture - ran it for over 5 yrs.... my lift now didnt have any of those problems... just my $.02 (and a little venting...) and welcome to jeepz! - you'll like it here!!!!

haha i just took a little "adjustment" into my own hands...good idea Bob.
does the fat part of the shim face towards the front of the jeep or towards the rear?

fat end goes fwd - to raise (rotate up) the pinion- look at the pic above of the driveshaft on top - you want the angles to be equal at both of the u-joints - you may want to replace them as well - while youre working on it... worn ujoints may also cause vibrations to show up that you didnt feel b/4 and its cheap insurance...

wow... at least you have a good resource to find out now instead of later when you drop a driveshaft and get to limp home on the front drive (did that when i broke a slip yoke in my first jeep...) and its a pain but you know what to do now! - i would DEFINITELY check those u-joints now... especially if you've put any significan miles on it w/the vibration...but that would explain why the vibration was so bad ... i learned that lesson lowering my old 71 new yorker years and years ago... i knew nothing of pinion angles or shims and i actually ignored the vibration until i grenaded the rear joint... but i'm glad to hear you found the problem... thats why i love this place! no matter what you ask... chances are someone here has "been there/done that!" = glad i could help and g'luck!

Not to hijack the thread here but is the SYE stronger then the stock slip yoke? I have the same vibrations but only in 5th and 6th gear on an 05 TJ. I am going to go the SYE as I am planning on more lift. any recomendations on brand for the SYE?

Last edited:

and isnt the slip yoke typ. a weak link anyway? i broke mine in my old 91 w/4" lift - stands to reason that the sye and slip shaft would be inherently stronger - and the stresses are in a straight line not an angle like at the slip yoke....

O-kay, like this topic. Whatis SYE standing in for. I have a 3 inch body lift on my 95 and bought it like that with 32 inch tires. I just went to 33 and clearance is not there. I am preparing to go ahead with Skyjacker 2.5 inch suspension lift. With only 2.5 of the lift being suspension I shouldnt need any new driveshaft or anything else right. Shouldnt the kit come with everything I need?

SYE= SlipYoke Eliminator. Changes the rear output of the transfer case from a slipyoke setup to a shorter fixed yoke.

You shouldn't need any driveline mods with a 2.5" lift.

Back