starting issues

okjoek

I have a 97 wrangler with the 6 cylinder. It starts instantly when cold, but after is has been driven and warmed up is very slow to start. Any ideas. It runs great after you get it started.

I will but I don't really think that is it as it has none of the symptoms of being out of time other than doesn't want to start when warm.

cranks slow? Timing slightly too far advanced.

It cranks fine, just doesn't start. Starter turns over fast as ever, just probably takes about 20 seconds of cranking to start after its warm. I will check the timing, its just been pouring rain for a day or two.

It could be a wire that heats up and expands causing there to be a separation or gap in the wire once hot; probably just enough contact left or the gap is close enough to eventually jump the gap and start. If this is the case it probably will only continue to get worse with time until it just stops starting.

I must've been napping when I replied before. Check the output of the temp sensor for the computer (not the one for the gauge) When they go bad, it'll act like it's overheated and not allow for restart.

Back