Squealing on startup

Mooseknuckles

So I've got this '05 TJ Sport, with the 4.0. Everytime I've started it up in the last few days, she's made the most god-awful squealing sound I've ever heard come out of a car. Serpentine belt appears to be in good condition, I can't say if it's original or not, but I can say for sure that I've never changed it myself. I don't know if I'm off-base here, but the sound seems to be coming out of the alternator. I haven't had any problems with it up until this point, but now my Jeep's been sitting for a week and I'm tired of not being able to drive it.

HELP! :lol:

Seriously tho, any ideas would be awesome. I'm not looking to throw money at every moving part under the hood until the problem's solved by the process of elimination.

Have a look at your pulleys, if they appear polished, you've got to change the belt. Otherwise, even a new belt will be to no avail.

The idler pully (tensioner) is a common failure. Don't know that that is the issue but worth looking at.

if u get a glazeing on the belt they will squeal something awful but as that is a 4.0 i would check belt tensioner and atlenator take the belt off and give them a spin by hand check for bad bearings in the pulleys as well as water pump

Back