2001 Jeep Wrangler Question

lu798welder

I just recently bought this 01 with 45k miles on it. I really like it so far, its my first jeep. It seems like sometimes while I'm accelerating it stutters a little bit. We live in a high wind area and that may be all it is but I don't think so. I noticed on a couple websites that you can get tune up kits up to 2000 models and i think again from 2002 up. What is different about the 01 and is there something I need to be aware of on this model? Thanks for any help.

Tune up kit??? You could buy all of what you need aftermarket and be sure you have the best recommended parts. Being the Jeep is new to you, you likely do not know what maintenance was done.

First get some carb cleaner and remove the throttle body (TB) and give it a good cleaning. Inside the TB is a valve the idle air control valve (IAC). Remove the IAC and clean it good, BUT DO NOT scrape or scratch it. Just give it a good hosedown with carb cleaner. The IAC sets your idle and the TB often is the cause of soem shuttering. Be sure all gaskets are in good shape and replace. Snug down the bolts and be sure any o rinigs are in place and not damaged. If you don't you will get high (>750 rpm ) idle. Re connect all sensor connections.

Change the air filter - Stock paper nothing fancy.

Inside the air tube is a temp sensor. Wipe this clean and paper install.

Run some Injector cleaner

Change your plugs. Again nothing fancy. Champion, autolite or NGK

Start there and see where you end up. If this doesn't get rid of the shutters look into a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)

I just recently bought this 01 with 45k miles on it. I really like it so far, its my first jeep. It seems like sometimes while I'm accelerating it stutters a little bit. We live in a high wind area and that may be all it is but I don't think so. I noticed on a couple websites that you can get tune up kits up to 2000 models and i think again from 2002 up. What is different about the 01 and is there something I need to be aware of on this model? Thanks for any help.

JPNinPA gave some good advice. I would also say to see if the Jeep's computer is trying to tell you anything. You can read any On Board Diagnostic Scan Codes (OBDII) by doing the "Wrangler Key Dance" - Turn your key to the on position (not start), off, on, off, on wait a few seconds and the code will appear in the odometer window. After all codes are shown it will read "done."

Then Google the codes, if there are any.

The 2001 Wrangler if its a 4.0 doesn't have a distributor. So you need to buy a cap and rotor. It is one coil pack with three coils that bolts over the plugs.

Back