Hard tops

Dace

I tore my soft top this morning, I have a repair kit but I was thinking about replacing it with a hard top. My jeep is an '06 TJ. What year tops would fit this? And what would I need for mounting hardware? Thank for your help. :)

I don't know about those new Jeeps but on my yj, all the hardtop has is some bolts that hold the sides down and some screws that hold the header area from flapping

I beleve all tj's will fit. But, I believe the connector on the rear wire harness (right rear) was 1 style 97-02, then another style 03-06. But, if yours didn't come with a hard top, you won't have the wire lead/harness & connector (for rear wiper/defroster) . It runs along the right rear inner fender area. It can be added and then plugged in under the @ dash, but then u need a rocker switch and wiring, front it to, the engine bay and a new wiper tank w/dual motors.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sweating the wiring (30+ years in the automotive repair feild). To be honest I didn't know the header could be removed from the soft top. I'll have to look closer at that. I've had my TJ for 4 years and it pretty much bone stock except for a front reciever for my surf rods/cooler rack. I have a 2" coil lift which I have'nt installed yet (waiting on new tires this fall).

Thanks again for the info!
Dace

I repaired the tear as best I could. I hope I can get through the winter. If not I know someone in the auto upholstry biz who can repair it. This guy built my bikini top for my old '87 blazer back in the day. I'm still looking around for a hard top though, so anyone in the S.E. Mass area that has one cheap, let me know.

I remember my old land cruiser was always cold. It was a diesel and in -40 brrr lol. Well anything below -5. I bought a hard top for 100 bucks and got it spray foamed for Insulation. And it worked wonders. Lol. I dunno how easy it would be to find a hard top for cheap for your rig though

I been perusing Craigs list, there are plenty out there, just want to make sure that they will fit properly first. Plus I may have to wait until I have the dough. I got laid off last nov and decided to go back to school for a degree in electronic engineering. So now I have a $50K student loan to sweat too.

I was reading your post and had a thought. By my house there is a junkyard and they have had several tj,s sitting around wrecked. A local junkyard my have a hardtop.

I called a junkyard near me.....windham recyclers.....anyway they want a thousand bux for a tj hardtop.....cant beleive what they wanted for it!!

I ran into the same thing. The few used hardtops I found were garbage and they wanted a ton of money for them. I got the Bestop sailcloth unit instead for less money. I got their headliner later to use in the winter for about $100.

'97 to '02 softops are a different part number from the '03 to '06 unit. Don't know if that matters on the hardtop or not.

Smittybuilt's stuff is generally crap but 4WD Hardware lists their hardtop for about $1600. Based on what I saw garbage used hardtops going for, if I REALLY wanted a hardtop then I'd consider a new Smittybuilt unit. Bestop has hardtops too but they're awful pricey.

Just remember if your going to 'emergency fix' it, Gorilla Duct Tape is the 'KIND'. I don't imagine you want to deal with tears and such, not many of us do, and I myself would like a hard top too since I have a Bikini and divider with soft doors. It's fairly dry if your driving, but stops are a **** , when all the runnoff gets you... but once moving, it's ......ok.... barely.
Just cary some Gorilla Tape with you..... or you will wish you did..

Back