Question to moderators

LBR

We all have a self-defense mechanism built into ourselves - some more pronounced than others. When we get attacted, we defend. When we ire another being and we are in the wrong, whether or not we are aware of it at the time, we might get into a scrap. When we ire many beings, we are ganged up on and nothing good comes from it and a war begins. In regards to Beantown's multi-posts and chastising thread against him, is there a way that a moderator can end that post when it starts to go over the top and not allow any more replies after ending it? Does this software allow this to be done from your guy's seats at all? Can you push the delete button on any given thread? Any new posts that start back up regarding the same thread could then be sharply ended with a firm warning from you.....a "comply or else" warning! I have read a few of these in my time here and while the "reality show conflict" makes for interesting reading, it also wounds deeply those select individuals that maybe just made a mistake. I love to dish crap out, and I love to receive it too. Some folks just don't hanker much to being called down on their actions, and the war begins. I surmise that for the next several weeks, any postings by Beantown will result in several sarcastic remarks just to egg him on some more....not good. Sorry for running on like this, but I feel if a thread starts to get heated up, it should be halted immediately by any one of you. LBR

Can you post a link to the thread you're speaking of? Really helps address the problem in a timely manner.

This forum allows the deletion of individual posts and entire threads. It also allows for a thread to be locked, so nothing else continues down the wrong path.

You can also consider sending a PM to the forum's mod for a heads up. I appreciate the post as we all work together to keep jeepz.com a great place.

The problem was not with the topic of the original post. The problem was that he posted the same thing in EVERY section here.

And, I think he took the wrong way when people asked him to only post it once.

Whoa!! Need Help

I get tired of all the mish mashing in posts these days myself. Just my .02. I'd like to see the topic but not the aruging over every little thing someone writes.

Lady

RE: A Whole Year Already?!?

I agree, his original post was worthy of a topic, but his responses to constructive criticisms simply dug him a hole he won't likely get out of for a while. Even when I tried to make a joke to lighten things up, he just got a worse attitude. Sometimes, I feel it's best to just let folks like that run their course as they've plotted it and move on. At least that's been my experience with other boards. They usually end up throwing some type of tantrum and leaving, but not before riling everyone else up. Antagonism such as his spreads like a cancer, even on an even-keeled, close-knit board like this. A private admonition from a mod to the offender should be enough, if it continues after that, I feel an all-out ban of his posting priveleges is in order.

A few weeks ago, I was attacked by a member on Jeepz, and I didn't like it. I tried to remain civil, but as the personal attacks continued, I couldn't help but give a little back. Had that been addressed from the get-go, it wouldn't have ruined an otherwise interesting thread. And, judging from the number of PM's I got from other members, I didn't overstep my bounds as to what I said, but I'll admit that I overstepped my own personal bounds by responding at all. That's what I mean by it being a cancer. I'm an easy-going person, but when someone pushes my buttons, I'll stand up for myself. At the time of that conflict, I asked if a mod could delete all the posts that weren't pertinent to the original topic, in order to save what I thought was an interesting discussion. Nothing was done about it, and some of the flames kept coming afterwards. Shameful, really, that such a good topic got trashed by one person who thought they were above the crowd in making unjust accusations of wrongdoing. Nuff sed.

In answer to your question Bounty, I don't think that I can post a link to it. I'm sure that you are aware of which thread it is by now, anyway. I haven't been able to post a smiley, another's quotes, can't host any of my pictures and no custom avatars. But I can henpeck the keyboard to keep in touch and I suppose that is my limits. At times I think that my IQ is only 5 above a garter snake when it comes to the 'puter. Hahaha(that's my smiley, guys!) LBR

RE: question about lifts

Sparky-Watts said:
At the time of that conflict, I asked if a mod could delete all the posts that weren't pertinent to the original topic, in order to save what I thought was an interesting discussion. Nothing was done about it, and some of the flames kept coming afterwards.
I didn't receive anything from you that would have given me a heads-up about this post.

I hadn't clicked on the post before today because the title didn't peak my interest. I guess this one's on me as I should be checking every post, whether they appear to interest me or not. I'll try to do better at that as my time permits.

Somebody give me a heads-up on things like this, and you can do it regardless of what forum it's in. If it's not in mine, I'll post a heads-up in the moderators forum so it can be addressed asap. No sense in letting some things run too long.

RE: Slave Cyl (clutch question)...........

I edited a few posts, and deleted others, that swayed towards personal attacks. Keep in mind that even the most simple and seemingly harmless posts can start things going down the wrong path, as it's nearly impossible to imply tone here in black and white (or black and blue ;) )

Transmission for sale or trade

Good work Bounty. That is much better now.

But, I think it's so far off topic that whole thing is pretty much done with...

RE: wanted, winch

Just to give you guys an idea of my point of view, I probably read 10% of the posts here. Maybe alittle more, maybe alittle less, so posting "hey terry fix this" in the thread probably won't get my attention (sorry about that, just alot going on in the personal life). I can't speak for the mods, but I assume it's hard for everyone to be up on all the posts.

I'm going to work on a "report this post" button, but for the time being, a pm to the forum mod (or myself as a secondary) is probably the best way to get a problem addressed.

terrymason said:
Just to give you guys an idea of my point of view, I probably read 10% of the posts here. Maybe alittle more, maybe alittle less, so posting "hey terry fix this" in the thread probably won't get my attention (sorry about that, just alot going on in the personal life). I can't speak for the mods, but I assume it's hard for everyone to be up on all the posts.

I'm going to work on a "report this post" button, but for the time being, a pm to the forum mod (or myself as a secondary) is probably the best way to get a problem addressed.

Good call on the "Report this post" button. That should help things plenty.

mingez said:
terrymason said:

Good call on the "Report this post" button. That should help things plenty.

In a way, I hate to see that happen. Yeah, I've gotten out of hand a few times lately, and someone needed to report it, but for the most part, probably 99.9% of the time, we self-moderate very well. They have the "Report" buttons over at gc.com boards, and the mods there tell me they get whacked about 100 times a day there. I haven't been on those boards since August or September, though, mainly because of all the flaming, whining, crying and gnashing of the teeth.....this board had very, very little of that, and I've made it my home now.

On the other hand, part of me is glad to see the "Report" buttons coming. Perhaps that will help quell some of the nastiness before it drives any noobs away that happen upon a post where Mingez is in one of his rants....errr, ummm....I mean, a post where Mingez has to step in to calm someone down.

Don't say it enough, but Thanks for everything you do here, Terry!!!!!

Ya....Terry, this is a class act that other wanna-bes wanna-be like. I've seen a couple others and, they're like, wow, gag me with a spoon. Give the "report a post" button a long, hard look at....I vote against it because of the potential mis-use of it. "Push the button" and try to get someone in trouble syndrome could drive you mods 'naners. Let us police it and PM a mod if it gets too radical would be much more user-friendly for you mods.

RE: jeepless UPDATE

I agree with LBR....this forum has been pretty much "self-moderating" in my short experience. I've pm'd the mods a couple of times and things were taken care of one way or another. This is a GREAT site and I would really hate to see it look like "all the others". Jeepz RULES!!!

Re: RE: 3.5" BDS or 4" RE?

LBR said:
Ya....Terry, this is a class act that other wanna-bes wanna-be like. I've seen a couple others and, they're like, wow, gag me with a spoon. Give the "report a post" button a long, hard look at....I vote against it because of the potential mis-use of it. "Push the button" and try to get someone in trouble syndrome could drive you mods 'naners. Let us police it and PM a mod if it gets too radical would be much more user-friendly for you mods.

I concur with the above post. Well put!

TwistedCopper said:
LBR said:

I concur with the above post. Well put!

As do I. Got to thinking about it, and I can see too much room for abuse. Plus, the mods at gc.com tell me also, that most of the "Report" button pushers are just doing it for posts that disagree with their point of view and are trying to get people in trouble, like LBR said. Over there, they also had stupid warning meters under their names. Only you could see your own meter, but it was an annoyance, almost like they expected you to screw up and get a warning.

Sparky-Watts said:
Perhaps that will help quell some of the nastiness before it drives any noobs away that happen upon a post where Mingez is in one of his rants....errr, ummm....I mean, a post where Mingez has to step in to calm someone down.

Hey, I haven't had a rant in a while. And, you guys love it when I do rant anyway. :twisted:

Back