#$%@&&! York install!

Craig

Been trying to get my York installed for over two weeks now and I keep running into problems! Got all my stuff from www.onboardair.com and started the install then realized I forgot to order an oil seperator. Went to a shop to get one. Picked it up and got it installed, then realized they sold me an oil lubricator instead of an oil seperator. Pulled it all out went back to the store and the guy found one he said he would have to order in for me. Stupid me didn't ask how much it would be. It comes in and I have a $400. bill for an oil seperator. Told him to send it back. Spent 2 hours in the store as he called around to find a cheaper one. Finally found one in one of his catalogues. He said he'd order it next day. Get a phone call the next day and it's not available. Found another one at another shop that I'm waiting to come in. While I'm waiting for this, I decided to install the airtank and realized I didn't order enough air hose because I origionally planned on installing it under the hood but now it's under the jeep near the gas tank because of lack of space. Went to find the Goodyear Instagrip air hose for my push on fittings and nobody around here carries it. Had to order it in from back east so now I'm waiting on that too. Hopefully everything will come in this week so I can finish it up this weekend. You can see what I've done on page 6 of my cardomain site....the link is above my pic. The picture of the oil seperator is actually an oil lubricator, I'll post a new pic when I get the new seperator.

I think someone gave you some wrong info. A york install takes about 3 hrs ....
oil seperator on a york ? Why ?
Goodyear Instagrip air hose for my push on fittings and nobody around here carries it. ???? use copper or any old air hose ... whats the deal with this ? push on fittings are easy to attach to 1/4 or 3/8 rubber air line .....

White said:
I think someone gave you some wrong info. A york install takes about 3 hrs ....
oil seperator on a york ? Why ?
Goodyear Instagrip air hose for my push on fittings and nobody around here carries it. ???? use copper or any old air hose ... whats the deal with this ? push on fittings are easy to attach to 1/4 or 3/8 rubber air line .....
Many people don't use an oil seperator for a York install but the York does send some oil out through the discharge outlet. I plan on installing air lockers and from what I've been told, the oil will gum up the lockers. I'd also like to keep oil out of my tank and everything else like the relief valve and guages. It's personal preferance, if you don't want an oil seperator, don't install one. As for copper air line, I don't want to use it, simple as that. I started with a particlular kind of hose and I have all push on fittings so that's what I'm gonna use. Push on fittings will work on regular air line but not recommended unless you plan on using hose clamps which I don't. As for copper air lines, I've researched the oba install a lot on the internet as well as other jeep websites and from what I've been told, solid air lines such as copper isn't recommended because of the vibration under the hood. You can get air leaks at the joints by using solid air lines. But thanks for the input anyway.

how much air pressure do the lockers need? I would prefer to have oil in my tank, its better then rust. I see your point on the lockers gumming up...
better order a air dryer ! A good one uses freon to cool and condense the moisture.

IF you get oil in the tank, it's highly unlikely it would get off the bottom of the tank, down the air lines, and to the locker.

Because of the high cost of air lockers, I'm not gonna take any chances in wrecking them. The seperator is only $60.

i would still run a seperator... and if you worry about rust in the tank... a good inline filter will get rid of moisture.. that is one of thier functions... plus... i've never really seen a tank go bad because of rust from the inside

Suspension Lift for '96 XJ

where does the moisture go once it gets in the filter ? I have been freezing up my valve stems all winter.

The oil seperator I've ordered is actually an oil/water seperator. It has an oscilating (however you spell it) filter which drains into a small removable bowl. Looks exactly like an oil lubricator but has a filter inside.

I got my seperator at autozone for less than $20 it is ment to be used on a small home compressor, and is good up to 250 psi. Mine has a small shrader valve on the bottom that I will put a small peckock on to release oil and mater from. I put the check valve after the seperator so when I release the oil, the tank stays pressurized. ARB states that their lockers require 30 psi to stay engaged. simple, just get a used regulator from a home compressor and plumb from there to the selonoid(s) for the locker(s).

Craig, I think you have my email address, email me if you have any questions about the OBA. Mine is all done with one exception, the belt. (Been to damn cold and snowy) But I pressurized it with my home compressor and all is good!

Thanks jps4jeep, I don't think I'll have any problems once I get these parts I need. I'm going to pick up my belt in about an hour...hopefully it'll fit. I measured the belt routing with a peice of string and came up with about 92".

Back