Mopar Performance Camshaft

Bounty__Hunter

Super Moderator

I'll be installing a Mopar Performance camshaft soon, the .450" lift 256 duration cam. Mopar Performance recommends different valve springs, will stock springs work?

What else will I need to install/replace/modify besides the lifters that come with the cams?

Thanks.[addsig]

what engine do you have? how many miles are on it?

if mopar recommends different springs, they probably mean it. a cam that lifts the valve (compressing the valve spring) will need to close rapidly to ensure 'good' combustion... and possibly stock springs aren't sprung 'high enough' to close the valve effectively.

in combination with a performance cam, you will need to increase fuel delivery. it is quite possible that the stock injectors/fuel pump will work, but i'm not sure. just reset your computer (disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then plug it back in) (unless you're carb'd)

-nate[addsig]

It's a 2.5L with 85,000 miles.

I already have a Rusty's airtube and K&N, TB spacer, 4.0L TB, electric fan, hi-flow cat, and Flowmaster 50DF. Soon to have an Accel coil and 8mm wires to improve the spark. I think it'll all work nicely with the performance cam.[addsig]

if you honestly evaluate this, i think you'll agree that the best HP/$$$ gains will be from a 4.0 HO motor... just a thought. save your money for a I6...[addsig]

If I had a nickle for every time I heard that. My last YJ had the 4.2L, which I swapped out for a built 350, so I've been there both power wise and the headache of engine swaps. Power is not everything. I'm REAL happy with my 2.5L engine. Light weight, very easy to repair and maintain, and less HP means less broken parts on the trail. 1/3 less engine means 1/3 less things to go wrong.

My 2.5L is fun to drive, onroad and off. Quick throttle response and high revving. It does great with the low axle gears and light weight. Very well balanced Jeep, not nose heavy like the 4.0L Jeeps.

I'll keep my 4Banger
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey Bounty, I have the same cam and used the stock spring untill I finally got my roller rocker installed. Are you the same Bounty from the 4Bangers board???[addsig]

Back