Automatic vs Manual?

ndnatty

So, I am looking to trade in my 2005 Grand Cherokee for a 2008 unlimited Rubi. Now the dealer has one coming in this week that is loaded with everything I want, but it's an automatic. I have been partial to manuals in my wranglers and cj's. Already have a '79 cj-7 with the three speed manual. Trying to decide if I should trade now, or order one with the manual and wait for it.

I'm not going to try to tell you which is better because that is just personal preference (cough cough...manual...cough cough) but I would try to withstand the impulse decision and get what you want.

You'll be happier with it when you finally do get it if it is exactly the way you wanted it. I had to wait about four months for mine after I ordered it but it was well worth it.

I agree with getting what you really want even if you have to wait a little while. There has to be more dealers around besides the one. As far as the debate sneeze..sneeze..auto..sneeze..cough.....get what you feel most comfortable driving and what kind of wheeling you do.

AAHHHH (auto) CHOOOOO!!!

Test drive them both and decide what is best for you.
I have also always had a manual trannied Jeep. Until now. For me, I like the auto.

Last edited:

It deffinately depends on preference..... personally I love manuals. BUT with the newer ones the clutch is WAAAAYYYY to soft for me. There is virtually no resistance. I can't stand that!!!!!! Maybe I'm just too old school. But if I was going to get one of the new ones it would be an Auto.

ahhh ahhh autochoooooooooooooo!

excuse me for sneezing. far as working an old fashion, out dated, 1930's tech, manual transmission to a sleek, reliable, modern automatic transmission. its what your really going to be doing with your ride.

Mud and sand your better off with that old manual transmission.
Rocks and a lot of highway driving...I would go for one of those sleek good looking automatics myself.

LOL...either way both have there strong points and weak points....as you can tell I like class three transmissions...auto baby all the way.

I think that autos can tow more (although I'm not sure a Jeep makes a good tow vehicle).

The wife can't drive stick, so my auto jeep allows her to drive me home from the bar...

Auto should improve resale value.

I say hold out for what you want, but definately drive both.

One of each??? Hummmm... Not sure the wife would go for that! But can't wait to get it home to the Mountains of NC and test'er out. The jeep that is! Down here in South Florida it will be hauling my oversized rear to work and to the weekend dive trips and mud holes.

I prefer an auto in my daily driver and have also converted my Jeep to auto. I feel I have far better control on the "pucker" trails with an auto.
If I were to buy a sports car, it would have a manual.

I think that autos can tow more (although I'm not sure a Jeep makes a good tow vehicle).

Older Wranglers were rated to tow more with the manual transmission than the auto, 2500lb for the manual and 1000lb for the auto. With JK Unlimiteds, the auto and manual are both rated to tow 3500lb with the tow package.

I like the manual, where I wheel it's a lot easier to clutch and roll back for a 3point turn than it is to stop, shift, stop, shift, go. And trust me, with spools at both ends, there are a lot of 3point turns :twisted:

This is what I say.. now listen closely.... AUTOMATIC-SCHMAUTOMATIC!!!

Hold out... DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! Personally I love my stick... It makes me feel like I am really cooler than I actually am if that is possible! 8)

I just think it's really fun to drive. I know it's half the fun for me... I won't mention my carpal tunnel from the Jeep wave.. that is another story! Sit your wife down and tell her it's time.....TIME TO LEARN STICK!! Think of the bonding and joy you two will share as she is grinding the gears and bucking that brand new Jeep of yours all over some local parking lot.......what you won't do for love.......:wub:

I have a novel Idea... Get what YOU want.

your gonna drive it
your gonna pay for it
get what your want

If it was my decision, I would get a rickshaw!

I picked it up Friday afternoon and so far I love it! Will post some pics as soon as I get some. It's loaded with almost everything except the hitch and side impact airbags. That My Gig radio is pretty cool, 17GB of hard disk space for all that music I don't have! Now to get it dirty!

I picked it up Friday afternoon and so far I love it! Will post some pics as soon as I get some. It's loaded with almost everything except the hitch and side impact airbags. That My Gig radio is pretty cool, 17GB of hard disk space for all that music I don't have! Now to get it dirty!

CONGRATZ!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, get 'er dirty!!!!!!:MDB2:

Back