Advice for first Jeep

Bill M

Hi All. My son will soon turn 16 and has developed the fever for a Jeep. He has his eye on a 1989 Jeep with over 150K miles. We have only looked at the outsdie as the owner was not around. Needless to say his budget is limited. I am very comfotable working on cars and most anything mechanical. I like the idea of him learning and working on his own car even though I know it may not end up that way. Besides, I like a good project.

What things do we need to be looking for? The Jeep seems solid on the outside with no rust showing. The interior needs work and cleaning but no big deal. I know nothing about the mechanicals at this point. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Bill

I would just do an all-over good look, like look for leaks, engine knocks, test drive it.

I see your from Alabama Bill, i live in Blount County

Yes I agree = drive it. Also if it has carpet in it, ask to pull up a corner piece, particularly in the front passenger and driver side floor board area. Sometimes mega rust holes can be hiding under there. You'll want to know right away if you'll be needing to replace the tub or weld a new floor piece in. In 1999 when I decided that I wanted an older model Jeep. I looked for several months at many CJs and YJs before I settled on the 1980 CJ-7 I have now. I really wanted one with the inline 6 but it seemed that every one I looked at ran great but was in need of a new tub because of huge holes. Welding new floor pieces in was a lost cause in most of these Jeeps.

I really liked a little blue CJ-5 I looked at but when I pulled up the nice new carpet the guy had in it, the floor resembled swiss cheese!!! And he wanted $4,200 for it!! I had to walk away . .. no RUN from that one. Anyway I found my sweet little 80 CJ-7 a month later and I did the same thing, drove it and pulled up the carpet to see the floor. It was flawless. I did notice where a new floor piece on the driver's side had been replaced. It was welded in nicely and looked great. It had and still has the original 151 4 cyl. Iron Duke - GM motor in it now. It has been rebuilt but I plan on replacing it with a crate 350 when I get the $$$ to do it. While I'm not crazy about this motor, for right now the little 151 is allowing me to have play time with it and I don't have to worry about falling through the floor while driving down the road.:D

Good luck to you and I hope you and your son find a Jeep that will work for both of you.

Lisa

Look at the frame and see if it's got signs of prior impacts and or patch work. Check all the electrical functions like gauges, lamps etc.

Back