Off road survival kit

socal_dave

Hi gang,

I'm new to jeeps but not off-roading, with my other vehicles I always carried a survival kit for doing emergency repairs. I typically carried extra u-joints, a selection of grade 8 and 5 bolts, misc screws and nuts, fuses, relays etc.

The jeep being a new monster to me probably has some new surprises in store I'd like to head off. So, does anybody else have a survival kit they'd like to list the contents of or maybe just suggest a few jems that should be in mine?

Thanks a ton.

WATER!!! it takes 4 to 6 hrs to go from perfect health to death in the heat of this desert. POTABLE WATER and some sort of portable shade. A simple flat tire can be hazardous to your health. 8)

I usually carry wire with aligator clips, two types of jacks, tow straps/shackles, desert-billy winch(come-a-long), cell phone, first aid kit(neosporin, bandades,scissers,disinfectant wipes), 9 shot .22 revolver pistol loaded with snake shot, knife, small tool box w/assorted combo wrenches,screw drivers and pinch bar.

I bring little to nothing with me for spare parts... I carry water, gear oil, and some basic tools... but most importantly, I never travel in groups less than three vehicles.

I bring water,food,and some hand tools.I also bring tow straps and a shovel to help out the people not in a Jeep.:lol:

The only Jeep spares I carry with me is those plastic clips Jeep uses on their 4x4 linkages. Other that that
Small toolbox incl a can Brake fluid
cable ties of various sizes
Snatch strap & Shackles
Spade
1st aid kit
Small Compressor ( Tyre inflation)
Tyre Deflators
Jacking plate & Jack
Water (Lots of)
Cell Phone / GPS / Camera
Sence of Humour

The only Jeep spares I carry with me is those plastic clips Jeep uses on their 4x4 linkages. Other that that
Small toolbox incl a can Brake fluid
cable ties of various sizes
Snatch strap & Shackles
Spade
1st aid kit
Small Compressor ( Tyre inflation)
Tyre Deflators
Jacking plate & Jack
Water (Lots of)
Cell Phone / GPS / Camera
Sence of Humour
You should consider carrying a chain saw just in case you get stuck on one of e'm bushes in the middle of nowhere:lol::D.

Don't forget a lug key if you have locking lug nuts on your wheels.

A cheapo socket set

I have a TJ, which has a hollow tie rod. I keep meaning to buy a new tie rod to bring with me - I've seen quite a few tie rods destroyed on the trail.

Don't forget a lug key if you have locking lug nuts on your wheels.

A cheapo socket set

I have a TJ, which has a hollow tie rod. I keep meaning to buy a new tie rod to bring with me - I've seen quite a few tie rods destroyed on the trail.

Yup tie rods are a big one. I've seen a few blown rear ends too in the woods.

We used to carry rope,shovel,hi-lift jack, water, burgers and a grill:lol:

Get a tie-rod from a Grand Cherry with a V8 (or from local parts store for said Cherry) it's solid and a direct bolt in! I twisted my stock one all to He... you know where, & swapped for the solid one on my '05 TJ

and I carry two 3/8" 20' logging chains (1 with locking links on both ends & one with a choker @ 1 end & a locking hook @ the other), zip-ties are a must, 1st aide kit, fire extinguisher, 48" Hi-Lift (usally), 3 knives, bug spray, jumper cables, tire plug kit, HD ratchet straps, light tool kit (screw drivers, 1/2" drive ratchets, allen wrenches, LUG KEY, tape measure) & that's every day. You never know when you'll need it! I've used my tools on jobs where others didn't have the right stuff & my Jeep came to the rescue...

Last edited:
Get a tie-rod from a Grand Cherry with a V8 (or from local parts store for said Cherry) it's solid and a direct bolt in! I twisted my stock one all to He... you know where, & swapped for the solid one on my '05 TJ

I've heard they are straight swaps - do you know what year I should look for?

I got mine from the year range '99-'04 it should be a match... just compare to a TJ tie-rod they should have both in stock

One MRE, small tool kit, H2O, tow straps. Prepping my spares kit as well. Something nobody's mentioned yet is a winter specific list. A blanket, two candles, a flashlight, flares.

Back