Denver's Rocky Mountain News article

cewtwo

For your edification and verification -

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/other_recreation/article/0,2777,DRMN_23950_5672112,00.html

Four-wheel frantic
Off-road driving is one of America's fastest-growing trends in recreation

Peter Belsky loves his 2002 Jeep TJ, a muscular four-by-four with a Tech 4.0L I-6, 210-horsepower engine that produces 235 pound- feet of torque.
Belsky loves the TJ so much he has dedicated a Web page to it. On the page, viewers can examine color photos of the Jeep and a detailed list Belsky titled, "Stuff I Have," inventorying such Jeep accessories as a Warn XD-9000i winch, Skid Row steering box skid plate and AirAid PowerAid throttle body spacer.

But even more than his Jeep, Belsky loves the outdoors.

"I can't get enough of it," he said.

He gets as much as he can by driving his beloved Jeep on trails and roads throughout Colorado nearly every weekend.

"I love it," he said. "You can see in a day of four-wheeling what you wouldn't see in a week of hiking."

Belsky, entering his senior year at the University of Denver and president of the DU Off-Road Club, is hooked on four-wheeling. He was drawn to it for several reasons - that getting out in nature thing, his love of cars, and something else: "I've met some of my best friends through four-wheeling."

The enterprising student isn't alone in his love of four- wheeling. You don't need to look further than the traffic heading to the mountains to realize off-road driving is one of the fastest-growing trends in recreation.

A survey conducted by the U.S. Forest Service in 2004 showed nearly 48 million Americans turned their SUVs, ATVs and motorcycles off the pavement onto trails and roads on public lands that year. Nearly 2 million of those drivers headed to trails and backcountry roads in Colorado.

Chuck Wells is one of those drivers, and he also is the author of one of the most popular guide series to four-wheeling in the West. Wells, a former office manager in Colorado Springs, has become a four-wheel drive guru, writing and publishing nine four-wheel drive trail guides and two for ATVs through his own company, FunTreks, Inc.

He has sold nearly a quarter-million copies of his books that feature trail descriptions, ratings, maps and photos.

Wells headed off-road for the first time years ago.

"I had lived in Colorado for years, but I really wanted to see all the beautiful places in the backcountry," he said. "I was driving around in this vehicle that was supposed to be able to go there, and watching all the commercials that bombard you with the thought of adventure. I thought it looked like fun."

Wells took off in his new Jeep Grand Cherokee.

"I just kind of headed into the backcountry. I knew absolutely nothing about going off-road, and I took a side road outside of Colorado Springs," he said. "I slid into a big drainage in my brand new car."

Wells managed to get out of that tight situation, but he said, "I know I was really lucky. Right then, I realized there was more to this than what you see on the TV commercials."

He looked up a couple of area four- wheel-drive clubs and started going to meetings and on club trips.

"I guess I got it in my blood to go to some of these places that few people ever see," he said.

The more he explored, the more he realized something: "There really wasn't a good guidebook out there."

So he started recording data from each of his trips, gradually moving west and south and writing guidebooks for off-road driving in Colorado, Arizona, Utah and California. The more he drove and the more he researched, Wells said, the more he loved the sport.

"It's such a rush to be driving up something you didn't realize a vehicle could go up," he said.

The thrill of discovery also got Debbie Cavarretta into the backcountry. Cavarretta and her husband, Tom Anderson, live in Buena Vista and are members of High Rocky Riders, a group that includes four-wheel-drive vehicles, ATVs and motorcycles.

They drive ATVs on club trips and head out nearly every weekend. For them, off- road driving is a way to do what they love.

"My husband had three surgeries on his knees," Cavarretta said. "Hiking and backpacking weren't working. We can do this together and go out to old mining sites, to see the wildflowers and rock formations."

Many off-road drivers travel in club outings, at least until they learn to drive through streambeds, over boulders and on steep, winding sections of road.

"Many people have very capable vehicles," Wells said. "All these new vehicles are coming out that can do it - Land Rovers, Hummers, Jeeps. But you have to know what your vehicle can and can't do."

That's where Peter Belsky's other list comes into play. Titled "Plans," it is a list of accessories for his Jeep that will take him to new, more difficult terrain. It's a wish list of things he doesn't have yet - more lights, an AdvanceAdapters slip yoke eliminator, Rear Teraflex disc conversion kit.

"That's a problem with off-road driving - it can be expensive," he said.

But Belsky is undaunted.

"It's all a part of what makes it fun and challenging," he said.

Up to challenge?

You've got a vehicle with four-wheel drive. Does that mean you can go rock-crawling? Not always. Charles Wells, a Monument resident who is the author of a collection of off-road guidebooks, suggests that drivers start out conservatively.

In his books, he divides routes into easy, moderate and difficult categories.

How do you know what your vehicle can do?

Consult your owner's manual and remember the most important keys to off-road driving - clearance and low four-wheel-drive. Practice shifting your vehicle into low range before you go out on a road where you'll need it.

Off-road trip essentials

For the car

• Fire extinguisher.

• Heavy-duty tow strap.

• Jumper cables.

• Replacement fuses and electrical tape.

• Full tank of gas.

• Set of tools.

• Baling wire.

• Duct tape.

• Replacement parts - hose clamps, nuts, bolts, washers.

• Full-size spare tire, electric tire pump and pressure gauge.

• Jack.

• Tire chains.

For you

• First-aid kit.

• Food and water.

• Extra clothing and a sleeping bag, in case you get stuck outdoors overnight.

• Large plastic sheet or tarp.

• Extra set of keys and glasses.

• Detailed maps, GPS unit or compass.

• Work gloves.

1. Know local laws and regulations, including which roads and trails are open for off-roading.

2. Carry the right information, including maps and survival equipment.

3. Be sure to have the right vehicle for the trail or road that is chosen. Consult guide books or information from the Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management or other managing agency or join a club of experienced off-road drivers.

4. Travel with other vehicles.

5. Let someone know the intended route and plans for the trip.

6. Check the weather before heading out. Many backcountry roads and trails become impassable after a thunderstorm.

7. Get equipped properly (see above equipment list).

And now for the rest of the article -

Where to go: Routes by region and level of difficulty

Easy routes

Gravel, dirt, clay, sand or mildly rocky roads with gentle grades. Four-wheel drive recommended, but some routes are suitable for two-wheel drive.

WEST - BOREAS PASS

• About the route: Between Breckenridge and Como; scenic drive with historic details, wildflowers and a golden arch of aspen in the fall.

• Maps: Pike National Forest; Trails Illustrated Breckenridge, Tennessee Pass No. 109.

SOUTH - HERMIT PASS

• About the route: Southwest of Westcliffe; easy but rough surface; fairly wide road that goes to Hermit Pass near 13,000 feet with hiking, camping and fishing along the route. Offers access to Rainbow Multi-Use Trail.

• Maps: San Isabel National Forest; DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.

NORTH - SWITZERLAND TRAIL

• About the route: West of Boulder; gentle grades, one-lane road in places; suitable for any stock SUV in most conditions; follows old railroad bed with spectacular views and a pass through historic town of Gold Hill.

• Maps: Roosevelt National Forest, Trails Illustrated Indian Peaks, Gold Hill No. 102; Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer.

WESTERN SLOPE - LAST DOLLAR ROAD

• About the route: Northwest of Telluride; southwest of Ridgway; easy rutted dirt road, suitable for two-wheel drive when it's dry; scenic ranchland and forest back road with wildflowers, fall colors and mountain views.

• Maps: Uncompahgre National Forest, Trails Illustrated map No. 114, DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.

Moderate routes

Rutted dirt or rocky road suitable for most SUVs. Careful tire placement often is necessary. Four-wheel drive, low range and high ground clearance often needed.

WEST - MOSQUITO PASS

• About the route: Between Alma and Leadville; upper portion narrow and rocky but can be driven with high-clearance stock SUVs; highest pass road in Colorado open to travel, topping out at 13,185 feet.

• Maps: San Isabel and Pike National Forest; Trails Illustrated Breckenridge, Tennessee Pass No. 109.

SOUTH - HAYDEN PASS

• About the route: West of Pueblo and Cañon City; southeast of Salida; Upper portion of trail more difficult and suitable only in dry conditions and in the summer; beautiful drive with not-too-daunting challenges.

• Maps: San Isabel and Rio Grande National Forest; DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.

NORTH - CARIBOU CREEK

• About the route: West of Nederland near Indian Peaks Wilderness Area; easy gravel road with more difficult portions that can be muddy; offers beautiful alternative route between Boulder and Nederland.

• Maps: Roosevelt National Forest; Trails Illustrated Indian Peaks, Gold Hill No. 102; Colorado Atlas and Gazetteer.

WESTERN SLOPE - YANKEE BOY BASIN

• About the route: South of Ouray; lower portion easy, upper portion rocky, steep and narrow, but OK for stock SUVs with high clearance; famous as one of the most scenic places in Colorado, especially during wildflower season.

• Maps: Uncompahgre National Forest, Trails Illustrated Silverton, Ouray No. 141, DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.

Difficult routes

Most trails require vehicle modification with lifts, differential lockers, aggressive articulation and/or winches recommended. Skid plates and tow hooks required. Body damage possible.

WEST - RADICAL HILL

• About the route: South of Montezuma, east of Breckenridge; very narrow, steep and tippy with several rocky sections; low range and skid plates recommended; short climb that lures hard-core off-road drivers and takes them to a great view at about 12,600 feet.

• Maps: White River National Forest, Trails Illustrated Idaho Springs, Georgetown, Loveland Pass No. 104, DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.

SOUTH - METBERRY GULCH

• About the route: Northwest of Colorado Springs near Divide; steep, narrow and tippy trails with rock obstacles and deep water crossings; modified vehicles with high clearance and lockers recommended; winding road descends into remote scenic valley. Trails are in the Hayman burn area; Metberry just reopened.

• Maps: Pike National Forest, Trails Illustrated No. 137, DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.

NORTH - CRYSTAL MOUNTAIN

• About the route: West of Fort Collins; final climb to the top is very steep with large loose rocks and moguls; lockers recommended for this section; takes you to top of Crystal Mountain at 9,949 feet.

• Maps: Roosevelt National Forest, Trails Illustrated Cache la Poudre, Big Thompson No. 101, DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.

WESTERN SLOPE - BLACK BEAR PASS

• About the route: South of Ouray between Red Mountain Pass and Telluride; most difficult challenge is a one-mile stretch of dangerous switchbacks above Bridal Veil Falls; vehicles should have low-range four-wheel drive, good tires and brakes and good emergency brake as well as a differential locker or excellent articulation; features incredible views and scenic details such as dramatic waterfalls.

Back