Best Places

ScubaDude

Okay so I was thinking it be cool to have a best place to off road list.

So post you fav sites to off road with maybe a 1-5 scale. ***** for epic * for acceptable.

probably not going to get many responses since not alot of people travel all over hte usa to 4x4. alot of people stay in their area so you are going to have lots of skewed responses since people haven't been to other areas to compare their 5* to another 5* area.

i know we don;t have any great areas by my house

Green Ridge State Park - ** (can be more depending on weather - worse weather makes it more interesting).

Rausch Creek Off Road Park - ****

The old Paragon Adventure Park (RIP) - *****

Supposedly I'm hearing the new park in Northumberland County PA is open now, but I haven't been there yet....

Johnson Valley <- hands down blow you mind

Moab/Rubicon trail <- tied, but I have not "driven the rubicon trail" yet

If you want old school, throttle down, tree's, tight trails and big rocks.. North east local trails.
http://crawlmag.com/?p=220

Fast forward the video till about 1:40 in.

See if you can spot me.

Maob. 'nuff said

I can't remember if I've told this story on here before or not, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself.

Anyway, when I was young my dad would take us (my mom, my brother and sister and myself) out west every year for vacation. We went to all different places (Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada). We typically would fly out from West Virginia and rent a minivan (we did drive it one year, but I digress...).

So one year we were out driving around sight seeing in Utah (this would be probably around 1992-1993 maybe). We ended up in Moab. My dad loved it there. We ended up going to a national park or something there and it was up on top of this big ridge and you could see mountain peaks like 200 miles away off in the distance. There was a dirt road/trail that split off and wound down switchbacks down the side of the ridge and wound across the desert floor below. My dad looked at the map and discovered that this dirt road/trail eventually wandered back onto the road near town where our hotel was, so he wanted to drive it. There were signs posted at the beginning of the road warning that it was for 4WD vehicles only. My mom started to protest until I pointed out that the rental van we had happened to be one of those AWD Ford Windstars. So we took the 'trail' and didn't have any problems. Not much to it other than crossing some creek beds. So anyway, my point is I guess I can technically claim that I have 'wheeled Moab', right? 8). In a few years if I get my Jeep close to where I want it I would love to trailer it out to Moab and meet my dad out there and show him what some real trails are like out there before he's too old to enjoy it.

Stay The Trail Colorado - Home
image-missing.png

Any where you can get dirty, stuck and have a great time without getting hurt is tops in my book.

I can't remember if I've told this story on here before or not, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself.

Anyway, when I was young my dad would take us (my mom, my brother and sister and myself) out west every year for vacation. We went to all different places (Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada). We typically would fly out from West Virginia and rent a minivan (we did drive it one year, but I digress...).

So one year we were out driving around sight seeing in Utah (this would be probably around 1992-1993 maybe). We ended up in Moab. My dad loved it there. We ended up going to a national park or something there and it was up on top of this big ridge and you could see mountain peaks like 200 miles away off in the distance. There was a dirt road/trail that split off and wound down switchbacks down the side of the ridge and wound across the desert floor below. My dad looked at the map and discovered that this dirt road/trail eventually wandered back onto the road near town where our hotel was, so he wanted to drive it. There were signs posted at the beginning of the road warning that it was for 4WD vehicles only. My mom started to protest until I pointed out that the rental van we had happened to be one of those AWD Ford Windstars. So we took the 'trail' and didn't have any problems. Not much to it other than crossing some creek beds. So anyway, my point is I guess I can technically claim that I have 'wheeled Moab', right? 8). In a few years if I get my Jeep close to where I want it I would love to trailer it out to Moab and meet my dad out there and show him what some real trails are like out there before he's too old to enjoy it.
thats awesome! i would lmao if i saw a minivan taking a trail down in moab. i have never been, but hopefully soon i can afford to venture down there and have some fun. i have heard there is all kinds of trails from just dirt roads, to extreme rock crawling. where i live in utah (about 40 miles south of salt lake city) off roading is just a few minutes drive. i have been looking on goodle earth trying to find some trails, now i just need a pay check to go fill up the jeep and see how they are.

Back