Pros and cons of interior carpet

ScubaDude

M trying to decide weather or not I want to remove the carpeting from my jeep. Any pros and cons to doing so?

I've owned a number of Jeeps (CJ5, CJ7, YJ, and TJ), and my TJ is the first one to have carpet, I like with carpet better.

1. The floor would become super hot in the summer (I don't know if it was the sun, or exhaust) and would burn my feet when in flip flops.
  2. From use, the paint would become worn out on the floorboards, chips and nics from stuff rolling around in the back, etc. I'd rather replace worn out carpet than repaint the inside of my tub.

I'll admit that a wet carpet can speed up rust in your tub (especially if you forget to check every now and then), but I think that letting your paint get chipped up will make it go just as fast. If you don't run a top at all (and take a lot of rain) then you should probably pull it, since it'll just act like a sponge.

Years ago I had a TJ that had carpet. I found it to be a pain to clean, but it did help with the floor heat. TJ was stolen and then a few years after I picked up a YJ that did not come with carpet. After rolling around with no carpet for years I would never put any carpet in it. I can hose it out real easy, I'm not worried about getting the carpet muddy or spilling anymore. If you do pull the carpet have some linex put in or do a herculiner.

No input from me here. I have been trying to decide the same thing.
My Yj don't have carpet but my mom's does I see pros and cons to both.

Have an xj so the sun isnt an issue but the muffler heat was. I modded up a heat shield with sone duct sheet metal suspended between the muffler and tub and it was 100% improvement.

Ya. Just heat from the auto in summer and I have to run floor heat in the winter. I got rid of it cuz moisture and my many deep water crossings. Got the whole floor sprayed with armourthane boxliner.

Jester32 said:
Ya. Just heat from the auto in summer and I have to run floor heat in the winter. I got rid of it cuz moisture and my many deep water crossings. Got the whole floor sprayed with armourthane boxliner.

Would rubber floor mats help against heat? I saw a jeep a while black with a hard almost plastic looking lining his entire jeep's inside. Looked like fiberglass almost. Can't quite put my finger on what it was but I liked it quite a bit. Does anyone hear think this sounds familiar or am I just sounding crazy?

I don't know about that type of liner, but I had liners in my Sequoia (plan to get them for the Jeep) and despite almost seven years of three boys, three dogs, constant beach trips and inclement weather, just a little shampooing when necessary kept the carpet clean.

ScubaDude said:
Would rubber floor mats help against heat? I saw a jeep a while black with a hard almost plastic looking lining his entire jeep's inside. Looked like fiberglass almost. Can't quite put my finger on what it was but I liked it quite a bit. Does anyone hear think this sounds familiar or am I just sounding crazy?

Alot of newer fleet build vehicles have a plastic liner for ruggedness. I'm not sure if it's the same. I'm happy with the box liner. I made sure to drill out my drain holes as I am in lots of deep water. You can also lay dyna mat on the whole floor then spray over that. Helps with noise and heat.

Back