1976 Jeep CJ5 FS in Ohio

avianman

1976 Jeep CJ5. Clear Michigan title.
I have only had it about 6 months - bought it for my wife and she doesn\'t like it :-(
258 6 Cylinder engine runs very strong. Slight manifold leak makes it a bit noisy, but not loud.
Did leak oil when I bought her, but I replaced the valve cover gasket and it appears that cleared it up for the most part.
I also replaced the cap, rotor, wires, plugs and oil less than 10 miles ago.
Still has plenty of torque and power! Engine gets hot if you sit a long time, so the PO installed an electric fan with a operator controlled switch. I drove it from the Detroit area down to the Akron, OH area without overheating, but it can get a little grumpy if you sit in traffic for too long without the electric fan on. When I bought it in November on eBay, I paid $2650 + $100 for the seller to meet me half way. He had it certified by a technician as mechanically sound. Looks like there are fresh brake lines and it stops well. Heat works very well. All lights work. There is a cheapo radio put into the radio hole, but there are no speakers in the dash. I have a set of "boxed speakers" that you can plug into it and it works. There is a tach mounted on the steering column. Gas gauge is accurate (wow!) Speedo is off, maybe need to clean the cable, but the 35 inch tires don\'t help with accuracy. Transmission is a 3 speed, and makes a little noise from the throw out bearing - not a big deal and not difficult to replace. Clutch is strong - no slipping.
Jeep has new shocks and is lifted 4 or 5 inches, plus a 2 inch shackle lift. The latter makes it a bit squirrley on the road, so I was going to remove them or readjust the castor angle with shims.
Body has some rust holes. Floor boards have been patched. he body is full of dents and dings and is painted rattle can flat black. It is a mean looking Jeep, for sure. The soft best top fits for the most part, and the doors are all soft and latch using custom strikers. The seats are functional without any real tears, but they are kind of dirty.
Comes with 35 inch tires with about 30 - 50% tread remaining on chrome rims. 4 wheel drive works and works well. Sorry, I cant remember what axles it has...I want to say dana 20 and AMC something er other - maybe you could tell by a picture?
The frame is very solid with no rust really even on the surface.
Jeep has tubular bumpers,fog lights and a superwinch that I know works because I already got stuck once!

This is not an all original collector\'s jeep, but it would be fun out on a trail, and it likes to crawl over stuff. Its definately a big one, and it gets a lot of looks, but it isnt a pretty Jeep. Some say this is the way a Jeep should look. My wife thinks they should be pink - who knew?

Clear Michigan Title

I am asking a very negotiable $2600. I can take credit cards via paypal, cash, or even other things as partial trade. Make me an offer! I can take more pics and send them out to you very quickly. For fastest response, email me directly at avianman@aol.com I am looking for a 71 or 72 Honda Z600 coupe as well if you want to trade.

A pic can be found at:

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Last edited:
Back