"Blown?" Center Sub??

I did a search and found a bunch of threads about installing a center sub, but nothing about one that stopped working.

When I bought the '05 JEEP TJ Wrangler the sub was working fine. Not sure the exact time frame, but about a year or so afterward, I noticed that it was no longer working. I tried to fix it myself once by taking the entire center console out to replace the speaker, but found that there was no way to get the speaker out (that I could see). I was hoping that maybe it was a wiring issue (it had worked a couple of times for a few seconds while driving) and by putting it back in may correct the issue. It didn't and the only thing I could think happened was that I blew the speaker.

My question is...Has anyone else had this issue? Is it wiring? Blown? How do I replace if blown? Thank you in advance for any help. Driving without bass has been no fun at all :(

PEACE!!!

The sub is not too hard to remove if i remember correctly. I believe the sub and amp are one piece so if you want to replace it with an after market sub you'll have to add an amp as well. Here is another thread on the same topic.

You can also find some pre-loaded subwoofer boxes/amps for cheaper if you just want some low-end back in your sound spectrum. Take a look at the kenwood or infinity basslink units as they are also removable on the fly.

I have been following this thread with some interest, for a while now, because I recently blew my center sub and have been driving around with what I term the blubs. That annoying sound when the base hits and all you hear is blubbb blubbbb.

With little to no "wood working skills", and a machinist at heart( if its not with in +/- .005 its no good) I went to a local audio express to see what they can do for me. With a quote I traveled to other audio shops and got a gambit of responses from 'There is nothing I can do for you', 'close off the speaker area and consider it wasted space' to 'if your not willing to open the rear storage for my 2000$ speaker box and system your not worth talking to'.

Well with gents from audio express they told me I was never going to win a stereo competition with what they could do, it would sound 100% from what I had.
So I ordered a Skinny pedal amp mounting plate and let them replace my factory sub with a 6.5 kicker sub and a 125 watt amp. I have to say I will never win any 1st place prizes with this sub, but they were right. It kicks with a clear sound that is 100 times better then the old factory speaker.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 490
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 527
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 980
I bought a replacement sub from Quadratec. It came with detailed instructions on how to remove the old one and install the new one.

Back