08 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4 Purchase Help

goochman

Hello everyone - new memeber looking for some advice on purchase of a Wrangler Unlimited for my wife.

Ive been scouring websites for information and have gotten to the point where I am prob more confused than confident - hopefully this is the right place to get some answers on a variety of questions.

I am looking at the following:

Saraha Wrangler Unlimted 4x4
Tow Package
Auto
Side Air bags
Remote Start

1. Diff vs '08 and '09? I am buying new and there are a decent amounts of '08s still left to get a better deal unless something magical happened with the '09

2. MyGig vs UConnect? '08 has the Mygig and '09 has Uconnect which appears to be the same? Reviews of Mygig have be so-so and some seem to indicate you can add afterwards.

3. I live in the DC area so if the Dual Top needed? The soft tops seem pretty tight on the new ones (my previous experience was a CJ) - are these cold in the winter?

Now the hard questions:

We looked at one on a dealer lot. It was on a very very slight incline facing up - the driver door woundlt stay open. It seemed to have a strap, but there didnt seem to be something to hold it open - was something missing or are the doors like that?

What breaks on these things? Every car has thosee things that will just need to be replaced (my BMW has control arms and outer CV boots). Post 36k warrenty and 100k - what things are common to require repairing?

I can get affiliate pricing from my company, so an '08 and the Credit Union discount I think I can get a good price on an '08.

Anyone know if Chrysler will make new discounts come Feb?

Thanks for everyones input in advance!
--
Goochman

As far as i know, there is NO difference between the 08 and 09 models. MyGig Vs. U-connect, The U-Connect will be a more affordable upgrade and a lot eaisier to install. My advise is to get the Jeep with the MyGig radio.The earlier Versions had some Crashing moments but That has already been resolved with a new Software. The Soft tops on the new Jeeps are not much different from the TJ's but is a lot Better than the CJ's original tops. These Soft Tops are made of multi layered Sailcloth with rubberized material.Winter time?, Yes it will be cold, or a lot more effort for the heater to warm you up, depends on how you look at it. If you dont like the Cold, Get the Hard Top. Doors, They do not have what's called a Check Strap that holds the door open on two positions. They only come with the NYLON Flexible Strap.(I'm sad that BMW didn't think of this). the reason for this is for you to be able to remove the doors with ease. there is an aftermarket Jeep Door Checkstraps you can install that will hold it open for you if your interested. What breaks; just like any other Car out there ,anything and everything.The Most common Concern on the Jk's are the Sunrider tops(SoftTop), and the 3 piece hardtop. Water leaks or wind noise. Discounts?, I'm yet to Make a descision if my Chrysler Employee pricing is beter than what you can buy it for.Chrysler Discounts sometime Febuary?,MMmmmm,Doubt it. It's possible though.

I have an 08 Sahara(4 Door). Dealing with the cold I have found that there is not much difference with the soft or the hard top. The Hard top is just plastic and fiberglass with no insulation. To me it gets just as cold as the soft top. Road noise is about the same to. I have the Infinity sound system with the 6 Disc. No Uconnect. Friend in the jeep club that I am in has Uconnect is his. He says with the top on it works "ok". With the top off "USELESS". My wife has the my GIG in her car. The only thing that hers has that would make it worth it to me is the Back Up Cam. My Infinity 6 Disc sounds just as good as her My GIG. I know the selling point of the My GIG is you can download music in to it. But if you get your music from iTunes or another site like that you can not put your music in the My GIG. Well as far as I know:D. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback - I went through the Jeep site again and realized you need the hard top for the rear defroster. Having dealt with cars in the winter without this (many moons ago) it is a hassle. I presume frost collects on plastic almost the same as glass?

Im still not sure the diff between UConnect and Mygig - isnt UConnect a Mygig radio? Does UConnect in the '09 have bluetooth where the '08 Mygig does not but can be added?

We wont be doing and real hard off roading - is the Limited Slip worthwhile to add or leave it off?

I bought mine with the dual top option and ended up selling the hard top a couple of years later. The hard top is a pain to put on, take off and to store.
I haven't really had a problem with the plastic frosting up. The heater on my TJ is great. Even down in to the teens it will burn you up. No matter what the temp is outside, once the engine warms up I have to turn the fan down to low and sometimes adjust the temp because it gets too hot inside.

Good luck with your purchase.

The MyGig radio Has most of the components to add the U-Connect feature. it lacks the Bluetooth interface module, and the software to run it. although the 08 and 09's has the buttons for the u-connect on the Dash,it doesn't mean it's equipped with it. Not all of the JK radios are compatible for the U-Connect. Mid and highend Radios are compatible. Take note of the little white printed letters in front of the radio,i.e. ras, rbq etc. let me know what it is and i'll let you know if that Radio is compatible with the U-Connect. Moving forward to the Axle question, the 09 jk's has 2 options on the differential. Tru-loc or track loc. The Tru-Loc is a electronically actuated locker(on Demand). The Trac-Loc is a self contained differential that functions like a limited slip differential.

I lived in the DC area for a while (Fairfax), when I had my CJ-7. I had a soft top and a hard top, and the hard top was a pain in the butt. There was never a place to store it (unless you're lucky enough to have a 2 car garage). At one point I had a townhouse, and would store the hard top in the backyard, but the top took up 1/2 the yard!

With a soft top, you're able to go to work, then when you come out, and notice it's a nice day, you can pop the top down.

If you have plenty of room to store the hard top, and 2 friends to help you take it off and on (it is at least a 2 person job) then it may work for you.

Ok Im getting closer. I cant really find any '08s so Im zoning in on an '09.

This seems like a lame question, but I cant seem to figure it out.

If you get the 'Dual Freedom Top' option, do you have the soft top and hard top, or does that just come with the hard top that has removeable panels?Ive found an '09 that is interesting but comes with the Dual Top option. Id rather get teh UConnect vs the Hard Top but there isnt anything in the DC area like that and I would have to order and wait. If I would get both with the Dual Top option I would forgo the UConnect and just get my own GPS at a later date.

It has this radio in it:
-AM/FM stereo w/CD player-inc: MP3 playback 1220
-(6) Infinity speakers w/subwoofer 1220
-Sirius satellite radio w/1-year subscription 1220

Chrysler is ready to offer 0% for 60 months on Wranglers so if the top option works out I could be jeeping sooner vs later.

Back