1" body lift questions

2000wrangler

i know this subject has been beat to death already, but i want to put a 1" body lift on my 00' tj sport. i already installed 2" coil spacers, but want to fit 32's without rubbing. so here are my questions:

1. i have an automatic. do i need to do anything to the shift linkage (i want to put in a B&M Megashifter in the future, but for now, i am sticking with factory shifter)?

2. what about the t-case shifter. will the case go up with the body or will the shifter get a little lower in the console?

3. do i need to lengthen brake lines?

4. i read somewhere about the A/C lines needing to be moved. is this correct?

5. does the fuel tank fill hose need to be lengthened?

this is all i can think of at the moment. i just want to make sure that i have a good idea of what i am getting into. it seems that everything i think will be easy to do, ALWAYS ends up turning into an all day affair.

thanks

I was sure that u could do 32 without any lift or a slight lift, like 2 inch spacers. Guys am I wrong??

You can do 32's but depending on your tire width and back spacing you will get a little rubbing with a 2" puck lift, especially if you remove the isolators and end up with 1.75" of lift.

Get the Daystar 1" kit, its a little more expensive but looks a lot better and contains everything you need for an easy installation.

Installing mine took about an hour and went on with no problems at all. For 1" no need to lengthen anything. The only thing you have to do is adjust the fan shroud. Read the instructions and you'll be fine.

Its also a lot easier if you have a hi-lift jack and rocker guards.

You'll likely have to trim the bottom of the fan shroud, or adjust the shroud mounts 1". A good 1" BL like Daystar will come with a 1" drop bracket for the tub side of the transfer case linkage. You have to remove the tub panel above the shifter linkage to install it, not a big deal once you pull the carpet back.

Don't know about the auto transmission linkage, never installed one on an auto (yet).

in my opinion,which dont count for very much.i hate body lifts.their a pain in the @$$.

i have a 2" body lift on my YJ,havent really had any prolems with it yet. One bonus that they do have is that it gives you a lot more room to work underneath.

On mine the shifter linkage passes through some holes and is bolted to the transmission channel, I didn't even have to remove a tub panel. Just pull back carpet and remove 4 bolts.

And actually the shifter works better now than it ever did in the stock configuration.

OutOfStep said:
I didn't even have to remove a tub panel. Just pull back carpet and remove 4 bolts.
I don't follow, the tub panel is held in place by 4 bolts and accessed by pulling back the carpet.

yeah on mine I didn't need to remove a tub panel for the installation. The transfer case shifter linkage is bolted to the bottom of the tub with 4 bolts that you just unbolt from the top, drop the linkage, and swap in the extended part.

OutOfStep said:
especially if you remove the isolators and end up with 1.75" of lift.
The stock isolators are 3/4". so a 2" spacer lift will only give you 1.25" of lift if you don't leave them in place.

all of the 2" spacers for TJ's i've seen (that were produced in the last 3 or 4 years) are 1.75", they're intended to be ran sans isolator. They have been going with 1.75" instead of a true 2" because some knuckleheads were complaining about drive line vibes at a full 2".

I had heard that the isolator was 1/4", but had never bothered to measure it. I'm sure you're right about the isolator thickness thinking back to my install it was thicker than 1/4".

Regardless, if you run the pucks sans isolator you will only have 1.75" of lift and will have rubbing on a 32" tire. With the isolator installed you may or may not have problems depending on the actual diameter of the tire you install (not all 32's are actually 32's) and the amount of backspacing you are running.

The M.O.R.E. kit is good, the difference is that the M.O.R.E. kit has an aluminum spacer that you put on top of your stock rubber body mounts.

The Daystar kit is a complete polyurethane replacement body mount.

It really comes down to whether you mind seeing a stacked body mount or not.

The daystar kit is nice, replaces the entire mount and includes the transfer case bracket for the shift linkage.

Most stock coil isolators I've seen are 5/8" ;)

agreed, but that doen't change my point that most 2" puck lifts are actually 1.75" if you do not re-use the isolator and will not give needed clearance for 32" tires. However if you keep the isolator plus the puck lift then you may have enough room.

5/8" well that would make us both wrong

I remember measuring mine at 3/4... oh well

Either way a 1.75" lift that said to remove the stock isolator would have have a spacer that measured larger than 2" to net 1.75

SO I guess I have around 4 3/8" of lift

Last edited:
Back