11 worst cars - Consumer Reports (3 Jeeps make the list)

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Consumer Reports did an article on the 11 worst cars and SUVs, and it looks like they really tore into Jeep. They put 3 Jeeps on their list.

1 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2 Hummer H3 (5 Cyl.)
3 Jeep Liberty Sport
4 Chevrolet Aveo5
5 Dodge Nitro SLT
6 Toyota FJ Cruiser
7 Toyota Yaris (base, manual transmission)
8 Suzuki Forenza (base)
9 Jeep Patriot Limited
10 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT (6-cyl.)
11 Mercury Grand Marquis

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Consumer Reports: The 10 best cars
Score: 17 (out of 100)
Highs: Off-road ability
Lows: Ride, handling, braking, noise, fuel economy, fit and finish, visibility, frontseat comfort, access, reliability
Consumer Reports performs off-road testing at its Connecticut proving grounds, but off-road ability doesn't factor into the final scores.
That's part of the reason the Wrangler Unlimited gets the lowest score of any vehicle the magazine currently rates.
"We're rating these cars as most people would drive them in the SUV category," said Jake Fisher, a Consumer Reports auto test engineer.
While Jeep boasts that it sells to more owners who actually drive off-road than any other brand, the majority still spend most of their time on pavement.
A spokeswoman for Chrysler pointed out that the Jeep and Dodge vehicles in this list were fundamentally engineered for heavy-duty off-road use and the Jeeps, in particular, have been rated highly by other publications.

Jeep Liberty Sport
Score: 27
Lows: Fuel economy, noise, agility, fit and finish
Like the Wrangler and H3, the Liberty is credited with good off-road capabilities, but that does not factor in to the final score.

Jeep Patriot Limited
Score: 42
Highs: Transmission, unusual interior features
Lows: Acceleration, engine noise, driving position, visibility, front-seat comfort, fit and finish
The Patriot is based on same car-based engineering underpinnings as the Jeep Compass and Dodge Caliber. The taller Patriot can be purchased with option packages that make it off-road capable, however, while the Compass and Caliber are on-road only.

11 worst cars - Consumer Reports - Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (1) - CNNMoney.com

Well, at least I don't consider the "Liberty Sport" and the "Patriot" to be JEEPS anyway..........and as far as the Wrangler goes, it's a "Jeep" thing and Consumer Reports does not understand.:D

CR lost my subscription a long time ago when they began comparing apples to oranges... and expressing a bias for certain vehicles/makes.

How could they understand a "Jeep Thing" anyway?

Larry

oh no!!! NOISE!!! MAKE IT STOP!!! Gimme a break.... what the heck is "fit and finish"?

I am not surprised, as jeeps goes, there not an elegant vehicle like a Lexus SUV type with creature comforts for the most finicky of drivers. From a sleek dash fitted precisely together, wrap around plastics to make you feel your in a posh car. With its hinges on the outside and larger than normal door fits (.062 max). Most jeeps don't fit into something that you would buy as a luxury type of vehicle. Comparing it to Santa Fe or some other SUV that is meant to drive the city streets with a certain amount of class the Wrangler just doesn't compare.

But once you take it off road then the jeep shines. With its solid front axle, that transfers road noise into the cabin, and its lack of precise sports car like of handling a problem on the city streets, but on the other hand an IFS system with its short CV shafts and less than optimal travel couldn't take the abuse before leaving you stranded some where in the back woods.

What we, as jeep owners realize, is that we want a capable off-road vehicle, and we are willing to sacrifice some of those creature comforts as extra cup holders and that polished look. For the original, take me any where off -road vehicle.
Be proud jeep doesn't make its jeeps with all of that spit and polish or every soccer mom, yuppie biz type of executive would be driving around in a Jeep Wrangler believing since he owns an Jeep, he or her are a true off-roader type, and will flashing all of us the Jeep wave.

I have been a Dealership Service Manager for over 35 years, and I own a TJ! We are the pickiest customers in the world, and I can say that THERE IS NOTHING THAT YOU CAN COMPARE
A
WRANGLER TO!
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/images/smilies/shades.gif
:shades:
Consumer affairs has changed from a customer based Mag to a crap station for cry babys!http://www.jeepz.com/forum/images/smilies/bootyshake.gif
:bootyshake:
If you have ever been 10k feet in the Mountains, with an elk down, you know it's time for a JEEP!
Remember, you either have one, or you want one.
It's a Jeep thing you know!

Attachments

• Cold 001.jpg
    Cold 001.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 4,693
#2 is a hummer..... at least I didn't have to spend 50 grand for a "P.O.S"! :roll:

They can drive what ever they want. I'll stick with my Jeep! :driving-g

I like at least 5 of the vehicles listed.:rolleyes:

Consumer Reports did an article on the 11 worst cars and SUVs, and it looks like they really tore into Jeep. They put 3 Jeeps on their list.

1 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2 Hummer H3 (5 Cyl.)
3 Jeep Liberty Sport
4 Chevrolet Aveo5
5 Dodge Nitro SLT
6 Toyota FJ Cruiser
7 Toyota Yaris (base, manual transmission)
8 Suzuki Forenza (base)
9 Jeep Patriot Limited
10 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT (6-cyl.)
11 Mercury Grand Marquis

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Score: 17 (out of 100)
Lows: Ride, handling, braking, noise, fuel economy, fit and finish, visibility, frontseat comfort, access, reliability
Consumer Reports performs off-road testing at its Connecticut proving grounds, but off-road ability doesn't factor into the final scores.
That's part of the reason the Wrangler Unlimited gets the lowest score of any vehicle the magazine currently rates.
"We're rating these cars as most people would drive them in the SUV category," said Jake Fisher, a Consumer Reports auto test engineer.
While Jeep boasts that it sells to more owners who actually drive off-road than any other brand, the majority still spend most of their time on pavement.
A spokeswoman for Chrysler pointed out that the Jeep and Dodge vehicles in this list were fundamentally engineered for heavy-duty off-road use and the Jeeps, in particular, have been rated highly by other publications.

Jeep Liberty Sport
Score: 27
Lows: Fuel economy, noise, agility, fit and finish
Like the Wrangler and H3, the Liberty is credited with good off-road capabilities, but that does not factor in to the final score.

Jeep Patriot Limited
Score: 42
Highs: Transmission, unusual interior features
Lows: Acceleration, engine noise, driving position, visibility, front-seat comfort, fit and finish
The Patriot is based on same car-based engineering underpinnings as the Jeep Compass and Dodge Caliber. The taller Patriot can be purchased with option packages that make it off-road capable, however, while the Compass and Caliber are on-road only.

11 worst cars - Consumer Reports - Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (1) - CNNMoney.comtirescars

Look at what they go by though on the Wrangler . . . . 1.ride, we all know they ride choppy and rough, IT's A JEEP!! 2. handling . . . .they sit high, and inherently do NOT handle well on the highway speeds. It's a JEEP, not a Viper or Vette!!! 3. Fuel economy . . . . yeah, you want fuel econmy get a Nissan Sentra not a friggin Jeep. 4. Noise . . . again they're comparing it to a slopped windshield car with little wind resistance, anyone buying a Jeep not willing to deal with the noise shouldn't have a Jeep anyways, WE all know they're not the ideal commuter vehicles that's not why we buy these things. 5.Fit & finish . . . . anybody want the fancy-hoity-toity softness needs to buy a Chrysler or Caddy, maybe a Buick, not a friggin JEEP!!
Most of this is BS, they are comparing apples to chicken wings, yeah, they're both food but WTF you comparing THESE things for?

That's MY two cents . . . keep the change.:shades:

What about those of us that BUY Jeeps because we WANT a simple vehicle with less "excess baggage" to break? All cars need work periodically; all of em (whether their snob owners like to admit it--or not) and Jeeps are simple to do that work on, and again alot of stuff on Jeeps, that simply cannot break; because it ain't there in the 1st place!

I wasnt very happy when my wife was rear ended while driving our TJ; but to hear my wife tell me that the whole (plastic) front end was laying on the roadway off of that Infiniti QX56 that hit her, (probably more typical of what someone writing for CR would drive) I laughed my azz off!

Like I bought my Jeep to travel the Hi-ways & By-ways?? If I wanted a school bus I would of bought a school bus

Well I supose if you get a load of " Flat Top Tar Lovers " together for a survey these are the results that you would expect

Well darn, toughness has to count for something. :?|

Back