1960 cj5 newbie questions

dwayne gonzales

I am a newbie to the forum and the Jeep scene. I traded a 1989 mustang for a 1960 jeep cj5. (good trade) I am doing a full resto on it and have run across a few questions.
first there is an ebrow cutout on the pass side of the hood that has been welded up. whats it for?
second...on the cowl there is what looks like a trap door and its also welded shut and looking under the dash there doesnt look like there is anything hooked up to it. I thought it was a vent or something.
third...there is a handle on the left side of the steering wheel. its chrome but whatever was hooked up to it has been cut off
Thank u for any help u can give me. Loving the Jeep community and the friends i have already made. thanks Jeepz

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. There are many friendly folks here. With regard to your quesitons if you have a camera or cell phone with camera please take photos of the areas you're referring to (always helpful to those whom may know mod parts by other names)
1. Perhaps this was for a deep water fording kit (as we called 'em in the Marines) although the snorkel was on the Driver's side see photo;

5166847079_7759fa355b_z-1.jpg

as to the other questions, I'm in the dark, but there are many folks here that can help. Don't forget photos.

Well, I was checked out on it several times when I was in the service, My current ride 'Black Betty' is a '78 CJ5 Renegade

5367669524_e1d34a2752_z-1.jpg

Question #1: Turbogus is on the right track...the notch in the hood is where a snorkel would go on a military Jeep(M-38A1)
Question #2: The welded shut door on the cowl is where the battery box on the military(M-38A1) would go...Jeep left the welded door on the CJs til 1966
For Qiestion #3,I think a picture is needed....your discription sounds like the turn signal lever(they were strapped on to the left side of the steering column until 1976).

Hope that helps & welcome to the world of Jeeps & Jeepz

The cut out on the pass side was for a electrical hook up for the military m38a1. It was for jumping an aircraft engine for start-up on a 24 vt circuit.

thank u guys!!! Wow Love the history on these older jeeps. Its so amazing what you learn and what a person learns bout our nations history as well. Will try to send pics of the little mistery handle tomorrow

On the left side of the steering column would be the turn signal switch. If you mean on the dash left of the steering wheel than that would be a headlight switch, or the latch for folding down the windshield. Anything else would be added by a previous owner, and that's anyones guess.

Question #1: Turbogus is on the right track...the notch in the hood is where a snorkel would go on a military Jeep(M-38A1)
Question #2: The welded shut door on the cowl is where the battery box on the military(M-38A1) would go...Jeep left the welded door on the CJs til 1966
For Qiestion #3,I think a picture is needed....your discription sounds like the turn signal lever(they were strapped on to the left side of the steering column until 1976).

Hope that helps & welcome to the world of Jeeps & Jeepz

Answered perfectly.

the hood access was actually originally designed for a fording kit, but as jeeps became more utilitarian and agriculture equipment of all kinds were being attached to jeep's that access became a multi-utilitarian access hole :D some of the older 5' would run hydraulics out to plows, saws etc..

Ian Davis said:
The cut out on the pass side was for a electrical hook up for the military m38a1. It was for jumping an aircraft engine for start-up on a 24 vt circuit.

If you are talking about the cutout that has been patched mid length along the passenger side of the hood right beside the fender?; it was in dead there for an electric

Attachments

• image-1201447670.png
    image-1201447670.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 1,374
Thank u all for your help w my questions. I have been trying to read as much as i can on Jeeps. But as for my little handle question.....here is a pic. U guys might be right...it may have been installed by one of the previous owners. It had like a bicicle brake cable attatched to the back but it was cut off:???:

Attachments

• DSC03564.JPG
    DSC03564.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,062
  • DSC03565.JPG
    DSC03565.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,347

Thank u all for your help w my questions. I have been trying to read as much as i can on Jeeps. But as for my little handle question.....here is a pic. U guys might be right...it may have been installed by one of the previous owners. It had like a bicicle brake cable attatched to the back but it was cut off:???:

That appears to be a non-factory e-brake

What with the recess in the side of yer hood, It's gonna be the safety for the hood mounted rocket launcher! :welder:

^^^ could be, very well could be. I've seen stranger things mounted to a Jeep.

Back