1979 Waggy, 360...Needs rebuild.

TorqueWinsRaces

Yup, this old engine is getting tired. Consuming a some oil and losing oil pressure occasionally.

First, I'm not rich. My budget will be...$3000ish.

I thought about finding a used LS1/4l60e combo. I do not have any idea if it would work and I do not have any idea how the transfer case situation would work out- This is my first Jeep, but I love her..and I get the "It's a Jeep Thing" thing ;-)

So, point being that I have a few ideas, but with the Jeep, maybe they are not so good- that's what this thread is for...

The other idea would be to drop an older carbed small block Chevy in it just because they can be bought and built so cheaply. My understanding is that the bolt pattern for the T400 in my Jeep is not the same bolt pattern as Chevy used? Jeep used the T400 with an AMC bellhousing as opposed to using an adapter, correct? So, I would need an adapter to go to a Chevy block?

Then, the last option would be to simply rebuild the 360. I want some stump-pulling torque...and I hate that MotorCraft ignition module!:x

Suggestions? Even if they are different than one of the three I listed, that would be great.

Also, I am in California and this Jeep does fall under the smog rules. I can essentially do whatever I want, but if I go to sell it, it needs to be requalified for smog. IF I go to sell it... I may just get buried in this thing!:D

Thanks.

if your going the swap method try novak and advanced adapters they have info on what fits to what to get idea of which swap may be cheaper

Back