1994 jeep yj auto

TheGhost45

Hey guys I've been looking around alot but haven't found much (I'm terrible at searching it seems ever since I joined this forum and I thought I used to be so good :p) but I've been trying to find out what gears I have in my 1994 Jeep YJ 4.0L Auto what gears are in the axles? I've read somewhere it's 3.55 Can anyone conform this or point me in the right direction? I always thought it was 3.07 but ive read different but I'm not sure if the source is accurate.

Have you checked the differential covers?, there should be a metal tag that has a stamped number attached to one of the diff. cover bolts.

Yea, my '93 had an auto and 3.07s, and it was a turd. I put a 5 speed and 4.10s in and it turned into a monster.

How would you put a 5 speed in replacement of an auto :S that would require alot of work...and money I'm assuming, why not just buy a 5 speed wouldn't it be cheaper? Im kinda interested in this whole 5 speed conversion thing.

Pretty much everything is a direct bolt-in. I bought an ax-15, transfer case, and new clutch from a '90-something wrangler for $400, Bellhousing and hydraulic setup from a '95 cherokee for $35(I wanted the external slave), pedals and steering column for $60, new flywheel for $100, new computer for $300(don't know if I needed it or not) and a pair of axles with 4.10's already in them for $400. It took me about 40 hours to get it done. Had some issues with the original flywheel; the guy I bought the transmission off of told me it was from a '94, but it was from a '90. Different flywheel, the cps wouldn't read it right and I couldn't get it to run. I ended up pulling the transmission 4 times before I finally figured it out. Once I put the right flywheel in, it fired right up. Since I have about $6000 wrapped up in my Jeep already, I didn't want to have to start over again. I gained oodles of power right off the bat, and it increased my gas mileage, too. The auto read 2700 rpm @ 60mph; the ax-15 reads 1900 @ 60mph. I gained about 4 mpg, and the increase in power is nice too. I run 33 x 12.5 BFG's, and I can chirp the tires in the first three gears. SO much more fun offroad, too.

Back