1996 GC drive line noises

Fireguy

Hi all, New to this forum. I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee. 4L Auto and just over 423 k's . I just replaced a Bad rear U joint and changed the diff oil. It started as a light roar but has got worse. I thought it was in the back end but now not so sure. It has got louder. Buzzing to a roar. begins around 65-70 km. Also noticed a clicking sound when slowing. So today I put into full time and it instantly got worse. Transfer case? I was thinking might be a front wheel bearing? There is some play in the front CV's also. Thanks for any help.

Most two common problems with that model is the bearings and or gears going bad in the rear axle (d44 with aluminum center sections) or the viscous coupling going out in the transfer case. Both problems depend on what model axle and what model transfer case you have.

Thanks I don't think the rear end is the D44. It does not appear to be aluminum. The increase in noise when going into 4WD make me think transfer case.

Most two common problems with that model is the bearings and or gears going bad in the rear axle (d44 with aluminum center sections) or the viscous coupling going out in the transfer case. Both problems depend on what model axle and what model transfer case you have.

Since his is a 96 it won't have a 44a. Should have a D35 in the rear. Check your unit bearings on the 30. They can go bad fairly quickly and can cause vibrations, loud roaring sounds etc. So check to see if they have any play in them while installed. Then pull them and spin them by hand. They should spin w/out any drag and should feel smooth in rotation.

If the CV's are the stock cv's...it's a good chance they are pretty weak and could be broken. But shouldn't be causing the noises you're describing.

I removed the front drive shaft. The U joints seam ok, no play or stiffness. So I took it for a drive with the shaft out. No roar no vibration??? So I thought I would drop it in 4WD and see if the roar was there. Not as heavy until I got two snaps like a chain jumping?? so I put it 2WD and it drives ok again. Oh it is a 242 case.

well that is what I am thinking. I was out with on a 100 km drive tonight and no roaring, no grinding, no clicking.......no front drive shaft. I guess I need a replacement.

The wrecker around the corner has one from a 160km GC for $300.00.

case is a 242. that is what the tag says. Anyway my 4WD is a 2WD until I get another case.

You can replace it with a 231 or 242 as long as the input shaft matches. Otherwise you can swap your current input shaft into another 231 or 242.

I could rebuild it for you if you were close to St. Louis.

That's new to me. I looked at the E-FSM for the 4.0 and 5.2 V8 and neither had a 242 optionon on the 96 model GC:???:. 242 is on the 97 GC models thou. I wonder if this is another one of those mid year change over on the build date.

A 231 in a grand cherokee is fairly rare. And if I'm not mistaken...was only an option in 93 but I'm not 100% on that. Most of them either have a 242 or 249. If you have the V8 you more than likely have the 249 if I had to guess. Try and do some figure 8's in a parking lot (w/ your front drive shaft installed). If it's your VC...you'll feel it jerk as it's binding up. I wouldn't rebuild it...either swap in another 249 w/ a good VC or swap in a 242 or 231 like previously said.

It is a 242 or so the tag is marked. The jeep is a 96 build date 9-95 . The transfer select has 2WD- 4W part time- 4W full time- N- 4W low part time. When the shaft was in in a tight turn in 2WD I could feel the climbing of the front end. Now with the front shaft out it like driving a diff vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_2431.JPG
    IMG_2431.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2430.JPG
    IMG_2430.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

I wouldn't recommend a replacement 249 to somebody I didn't like. Check your local Craigslist, 231's and 242's are pretty commonly available. Trick would be finding one with the correct input shaft unless you're willing to swap in your current input shaft.

Back