1996 grand cherokee NOT making me very happy.....

redqueen

Recently purchased 1996 grand Cherokee Laredo. Hasn't had good cosmetic care but mechanically not too bad.

1) couple of days ago went out to unlock and start. Fob wouldn't unlock it. Nothing...nada...just no response at all...so I'm thinking it (fob) needs new batteries. I get them, change them out and still no response.

2)unlocked the door with the key. Interior lights come on, put the key in the ignition and it won't turn over. I look at the dash and the battery icon has a very dim light. Turns out the battery in the car is deader than a doornail. So I put a trickle charger on it and get it charged back up but the fob still will not trigger any response and the jeep will not start. After I charged the battery when I opened the car door the interior lights came on but when I put the key in the ignition there was a sort of "snap" and it wouldn't start and all the interior lights went out.

3)WHAT THE....???????????

I'm not very happy with things right now. Does that d___ fob need to be "reset" or something? Is there a way to "decommission" the need for the fob in the first place and I can unlock and lock the doors with the key? Please don't tell me that this hard-luck Jeep is going to have to be towed somewhere to do anything about this? Please don't tell me that!!!!! Thanks in advance for any and all help! Lynne

Start with the cheapest stuff first: pull the battery and take it to AutoZone/advanced auto parts and have them load test it. Before you put it or a replacement back in CLEAN the battery terminals, wires, and all connections. That's the best way to start.

Make sure you ask them to load test the battery. I had one tested once and they said it was fine, I asked her to load test it and it failed big time. Would take a charge but failed under load.

^what this poster said^ That loud snap was an arc between the battery and post at the only connected spot it had. Clean and DRY connections before trying again. The fob needs to be pushed a ton of times to reset after the battery goes loose/dead. Use the fob to lock it first

okay, replaced old battery with brand new one. Cleaned connections. Interior lights come on, radio,all accessories seem to be working .....still will not start. Fob doesn't work at all... I can manually lock or unlock doors but it still will not start. If the electronics in the fob have failed somehow, would that keep it from starting? I've heard fobs are expensive to replace...true?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!! Lynne

On a 96 GC, you can turn off the security system by using the door key tumbler. Place the key in the tumbler and turn it to the unlock position and this should turn off the security on this entry. If the driver side switch failed, use the passenger side.. A tell tale sign on the dash should give you a clue if the security system has anything to do with the no start condition. Either on the cluster or the top of the dash will have a flashing light indicating that the security is armed or tampered with.. Make sure you check all the fuses carefully in the cab and under the hood. That snap sound you heard probably was a fuse that popped due to a hard short. If you find a fuse that's blown and replaced it and the jeep starts thereafter , you should be able to isolate the short by identifying what that fuse was protecting in the circuit. Another place to check in a no start IF the fuse wasn't the cause is the wirings on the ignition switch. They tend to get overheated in time and gets burnt on the terminals and eventually fails.

Last edited:
Back