1996 Grand Cherokee Ruff/Low Idle

MoRuhl

My 96 4.0 Grand Cherokee w/170,000 miles started this ruff/low idle after a cold weather start (-18/-37wc). After it final started (small burst of starting fluid) it ran well at high idle but as soon as it warmed up it started to spit and sputter on the low idle. It will run with giving it gas but drops off as soon as you lift. Weather is back to normal so i changed out the MAP and Idle Air control valve and ran a can of carb cleaner thru with engine off and new parts not installed yet. No change! the only thing that i notice now is a thumping noise at the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid that starts and coincides with it idling down and running ruff. Any ideas? and yes i have checked for vac leaks and found none. Also noticed on last test drive that it seamed to want to lunge but with no sort of rpm jump.

Update 1/14/14: Check engine light came on with code-PO171 (Bank 1 system too lean). Changing PCV valves and installing new breather lines to air intake box and manifold. Also changing fuel filter.

Last edited:

If your getting good spark and I think you might be , fuel system sounds like the next place to check. A pressure test will need to be performed and the fuel pressure regulator checked as well . With the fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail , pull the vacuum line off the pressure regulator and note any difference in pressure reading as well as the line on. The gauge can be rented at autozone .

Back