2011 Wrangler Brakes

rlord

I have a 2011 Wrangler Sport and when I apply the brakes it stops fine but if I keep applying a bit of pressure the brake pedal goes almost to the floor. The brakes still work and when I let of and but them on again they are back up but go right back down with pressure. I called the service dept and the mgr said this was normal.
I know some give but almost to the floor seems excessive!
Anybody got a 2011 that does the same thing or got any advice?

Doesn't sound right to me, I don't care what vehicle it is. Brakes are brakes.......pretty basic and very important. That "service" dept. and "mgr" are full of beans.....ain't nothin' normal about those symptoms. Sounds like you've got some problems.......possible master cylinder, possibly some bad calipers. I'd definitely get a second (or third) opinion.

Have you checked the fluid level in your master cylinder reservoir??

I have a 2011 Wrangler Sport and when I apply the brakes it stops fine but if I keep applying a bit of pressure the brake pedal goes almost to the floor. The brakes still work and when I let of and but them on again they are back up but go right back down with pressure. I called the service dept and the mgr said this was normal.
This sounds crazy, but if you drive any newer vehicle with ABS you get the same results:???:being a mechanic (not a parts changer a.k.a tech)i asked many dealers of all cars and trucks with the same answers. So if you keep your jeep stock and still stops well, don't panic , just express your concerns to your dealer and keep reminding them to pay attention to to your concerns.

I've got an '11 Wrangler and I haven't noticed that. Sounds scary, and not just because the brake goes to the floor, but because the dealer said it was 'normal'

I'd take it someplace else and ask them, second opinion and all that.

When you say a bit of pressure, how much is a bit? Are you an Olympic leg press medal holder? Are you applying even pressure over a period of time and the pedal continuest to travel to the floor, or are you applying increasing pressure to the point that the pedal then travels to the floor?

This would make a difference in that steady pressure should not be relieved by the system. It should hold at a specific distance from full travel, i.e., if I am waiting at a stop light and the pedal gradually travels all the way to the floor, that indicates either a vacuum leak or fluid loss, or both.

Yes I have checked the fluid and it is full.
As far as how much pressure I apply , I'm certainly not a weight lifter and am talking about a slight pressure . A little more than you would have on the brake when sitting at a light.
I'm going to take it to another dealer and have them look at it and check out some other wranglers on the lot.
Thanks for the responses

Back