25ish mph top speed

cerial

ok had a weber got clogged. Took it off went to mc then mc then carter then went back to weber(cleaned) problem fixed.
Idles @900/500 in drive w brakes.Revs to 5k with no bogs backfires etc.

But now I have a problem with the trans.
When I put it in drive it seems like it has no power and I cant get it to go faster then like 25(in third--I tried shifting manually)

Ok so here it is where is the vac line in the trans because the only electrical I found was to the Netural switch. And the only lines I seen was the transfer case to front axel stuff(that has been gutted and blocked off).

Is the Trans all hydro(no elec/vac?

Have I blocked something I shouldn't in the engine that only turns on when the trans is in drive?

---quick short question answers

The vac advance is not hooked to the carb it is currently open(hooked to nothing)

The kick down is not super tight but loose enough to where it should not bind.

The shift and kick down linkage all seem good and can either move by hand or move easily with the column shift.

Once around 25 the engine chugs and then chugs and if i stay with it it dies.

Have played with timing cant get over 25mph result.

The tires are 31 ish the gearing feels like 3.73 it is going through all the gears but at 25ish in drive it loses power.

Jeep pu is real slow have everything blocked off emission wise and vac wise.

If I shift by hand it goes through all the gears but still can't get over 25ish.

Feels like it is going 25ish not 65ish

The trans goes directly into drive and reverse I don't have to wait for it to engage(and don't feel it shift{if it is shifting})

In 2 high Not in 4 low

The engine is not revving through roof around 2500 is about all I can get(in drive) before the engine chugs and seems like it is not shifting(why would it matter when in drive from when in park with no emissions/siwtches to make a power difference)

Thankyou

wow I left that out
1988 yj 4.2 auto tf999
have been hitting other sites and have been told i might need a rebuild and the trans is in fact all hydro
checked more sites seems like something I can do in two days.
but before I go tearing into the thing
Any ideas besides a rebuild(like ways to clean the valve body with trans installed etc)

I would like to get some info on what kits to check out so far napa seems like a good bet with a kit for around 80 and a walk through book for around 20.
probably have another 100 wrapped up in bs

But I want more info on this please
tips tricks tools(they say general but) that snap ring that will shoot off into the next county unless you......
kinda thing

thanks

Personally, I wouldn't be too quick to blame the transmission. No load at 5k and under load 2.5k and rough. I would still think it's something to do with carburation, timing, or ignition. Not sure where to start though.
Are your intake manifold bolts torqued? I've had them loosen off.
Look in the weber with the engine off. I'm assuming it's one of the progressive ones. One side should open when you push the throttle. As you get towards full throttle, the other side should open.
Has the nutter bypass been done on it?
Just a couple of things to check...

thanks lah

I looked at the trans linkage but not the case linkage

Droped the case to find what was like a custom linkage bs
It moved through the pattern but the stick was just sitting on a plate and had a 2" piece of steel that wasn't connected Had springs
Some kind of good old boy t case drop
Ripped that out and went back to normal a normal stick engage
Now(with the case in 2wd) I can do 75 no prob

Actually a little embarrassed but the fact that the case is still in good cond makes me feel ok

Now I can look at ripping out that vac engage

Sounds good. I'm lucky to get 75 going downhill with a tail wind out of mine. But as short as the thing is, 75 gets a little squirrelly anyway.

I'm still running the stock 20 year old suspension(I have had it for less then 2 weeks)it is all there and Safe.
At 75 i'm more concerned about the top blowing off(i'm getting another windshield/frame this week to replace the cracked one that has a good amount of rust)
Actually I'm impressed at the handling The thing is stock(no bs)

But this is the first jeep that I have really drove with out ripping(or breaking within a month{tj}) out the useless sway stuff. Well yet..

I will get it through the winter then do a axle swap in the spring and the sway stuff will go into a free parts deal.

Back