304 timing issue???

Look into Skip White performance for that HEI, free shipping and cheap. I have had mine for a little bit and love it. I think they are 65 bucks. So if you don't like it or don't notice much of a difference your not out much, plus I'm sire you could sell it here. As far as the popping, I don't notice it in third but by that point I really can't hear anything over the engine and the tires,. It doesn't increase with acceleration and seems to go away after a few miles, but again see first note. It also starts a few seconds into start up. Now I notice it the most then but that's still in the drive way. I messed with the mixture and leaned it out a little, the popping is still there. Also it's not a constant or rhythmic popping. I'm going to have my wife stand outside the jeep next time to see if we can narrow it down to,which side, but I think it's the passenger side. I'm hoping its the manifold gasket. the PO put some money into her, but neglected the crap out of it the last few years. I changed the oil the first weekend I had it, and it came out like liquid tar...so before me departure to Korea this winter I'm going to,do as much of the easy,stuff. When I get back, I'm replacing the T150 with a Novak T18 and Dana 300, going to change out the front and rear axles, and finally taking he engine out, replace every worn ring, being, gasket, the heads need resurfacing.....I,have seen CJs in way worse shape, but this one is on the verge of greatness, just needs some, time, love and the ever important ....money. ,

It would be my guess that the popping is in the timing. When I changed my timing chain, pushrods, lifters, cam over the winter I had popping issues as well (mainly on take off and slow cruising speed). Everyone kept telling me the timing wasn't right, I played and played with it. Someone asked me what my total timing was, and I had know idea what he was talking about, he told me that I may need to recurve my distributor. I had no idea what he was talking about. I read up on it, went and got a recurve kit (6.99) and my poping went away with much better throttle response. Im not saying you need a recurve kit but its possible. The recurve kit comes with 3 sets of springs, a bushing, and weights, if you get the kit DO NOT use the weights (throw them in the garbage) use the springs and the bushing. The springs go under your rotor button under your distributor cap, its simple but takes a few trys to find the right springs. I would look at the timing and look into the recurve kit. What the recurve kit does is brings your advance in faster or slower depending on what springs u use. It does not add any timing, it just changes at what point the timing is added. Look into vacunm advance cans as well, I had to change mine. Changing cans will increase or decrease the amount of advance given. Most stock cans are around 15-20* I had to get one that only delivered 10*, it was over advancing at low rpms. I had never relized that there were 3 dif timings working together as one, you have your initial timing(set by turning the dist with no vac) vac advance(controlled by the can on your dist) centrifical timing (controled by the weights in the dist) they all work together and the vac can and the recurve kit helps them transitions from one to the other smoothly. When you changed dist, you changed two of those from the factory set up, the dist and the weights and springs in it, and the vac can. It sounds like your popping is a lower rpms as mine was.

Last edited:
Back