4.0 or V-8 need feedback on this!!!

elblancoYJ

which would be easier to swap in, a 4.0 HO motor from a newer wrangler or a v-8 of some sort, i'm wanting to start my swap as my 4 cylinder is getting tired. also could i use a 4.0 from a cherokee along with t case and transmission? just wondering please respond guys if you have any info or experiance with this sort of thing. emails and websites would be helpful also . thanks

elblanco333@hotmail.com

image-missing.png
[addsig]

well depending on your transmission you most likely wont beable to reuse it, if its the AX-5 which jeep put on their 4 cyl models from 87-93 i believe, its crap, wont even hold up under a 4.0 let alone a v8...in either case the transfer case can be reused, however if you go with the 4.0 you wont require an adapter to hook the transmission to the tcase so that could save about $400...Im getting ready to swap in a chevy 350 into my 91, looking to be about a $4500 job, labor included, when i looked into a 4.0 swap it would have been around $3500...but if you're going to spend the money you might as well go the extra mile and go with the 350, it will atleast increase you're resale value if you ever decide to sell it, not to mention the HP capabilities are almost endless[addsig]

Actually early Wranglers used a Puegot transmission that is total junk. The AX-5 will handle the 4.0, but won't bolt up to it. If you are going to do a motor swap, do yourself a favor and swap both motor and transmission. You may also need to change the input shaft on the t-case. If you go with a late model 4.0, get the AX-15 transmission to go with it along with the wiring harness and ECM. If you decide on a small block, be it Chevy or Ford, go to http://www.advanceadapters.com and order their catalog for $10. It will have everything in it you will need. Personally, the 4.0 swap would be easier and cheaper, but there is just something about stuffing a small block somewhere it ain't supposed to be.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back