4" lift no enough

allabs5150

87 YJ 4' suspension, unfortunatly I do not know what brand the lift is (long story) but it is brand new at any rate I added a set of 33 x 12.50 TSL Boggers running down the road I have no issues but off road on uneven surfaces the rear tires rub the body (or inner side of the fender well)
I was told the 33 x 12.50's would fit fine with 4"'s of lift but it's just not happening....any ideas?
Considering adding another leaf or possibly adding 1-1/4" daystar shackles, or a 1" body lift...what would you guys do?

sounds like you need more offset in your wheels. if its rubbing the tub. did you get wider wheels when you got those tires?

I doubt you need any more wheel offset. The YJ has pretty small rear fenders and it's common for a 33" to rub a little with 4" lift, especially if it's an older lift that has sagged.

I'd stay away from longer shackles unless they're only an inch or so longer. Otherwise consider installing TJ fender flares which require trimming a bit of the fender, providing a LOT more tire clearance.

Ya sorry guys I should have mentioned the tires are mounted on 10" wide wheels the offset looks ok....the tiresonly rub the inner tub when riding uneven surfaces, thats what initially made me think i needed more clearance.....although I dont know the exact brand of the lift (again thats a long story) I know for a fact the lift is brand new so there cant be any sagging issues with that

Also, Boggers (and bias ply in general) tend to be taller (as in closer to the advertized size) than radial tires... I have 4" of lift and use KM2's, and I stil rub in the rear at max flex (every time I max it out, I bend the rear part of the rear wheel wells!). TJ flares and some trimming will fix your problems.

Wow whatever lift you have must run a lil on the smaller side. Either way there is a few options. You can buy some longer bump stops, to stop the flex from hitting your fenders. Adding some small shackle lifts are ok. Or a 1" body lift which would probably be my top pick. You will sill have good flex that way. Changing the original body mount bolts out can be tricky make sure you have plenty of Wd40. hah Good luck.

Wow whatever lift you have must run a lil on the smaller side. Either way there is a few options. You can buy some longer bump stops, to stop the flex from hitting your fenders. Adding some small shackle lifts are ok. Or a 1" body lift which would probably be my top pick. You will sill have good flex that way. Changing the original body mount bolts out can be tricky make sure you have plenty of Wd40. hah Good luck.

I extended my bumpstops and it still rubs; not sure this is the best solution, as you would also be limiting flex...

Tj flats and 1" body lift will give you roughly 2-3" more clearance Wichita will be more then enough, just depends how much you trim for tj flares. I have them on my yj and love them! :)

Back