4wd shifting problems on 1982 CJ7??

ballou3

My first post here.... I tried to do the right thing and did a search to answer my question, but after much reading, I am more educated, but I didnt quite get my question answered.....so I apologize for being a simple newby :oops:

I will be getting an owners manual as soon as possible as well :)

I just purchased a 1982 CJ from a friend...he didnt know much about it, hence, I dont know much about it. Runs pretty good. Has manual locking hubs. My question is regarding shifting into 4wd. The 4wd shift patterns appears to be 4L (all the way forward), N, 2H, 4H (all the way back).

Is it possible the 2H and 4H are the same position...you just have to lock the hubs?? Because that is what it seems is happening. I was messing with it today. The stick is pulled all the way back and in 2wd (wheels not binding when testing it on the road). I lock the Hubs and its in 4wd. I try to shift into 2H (also unlocked the hubs), or what I think is 2H. It drove for a little, then I heard and felt it slip out of gear and into neutral and transmission isnt working. I pull the 4wd shifter all the way back and the vehicles runs fine.

So that being said, Im thinking the 2H and 4H are the same position, just need to lock the hubs. OR.... I am missing the 2H position, or is there something more wrong with the transfer case where the 2H position is bad/not functioning properly? Also, it seems to drive fine with the shifter all the way back and the hubs unlocked....will this be a problem?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated...and I am so glad I found this site!!

The only way you wouldn't have a true 2WD is if you have Quadratrac (the original "AWD" or full-time 4WD system), but if that were the case you shouldn't have locking hubs and I believe the 4wd selector would be in the glove box instead of on the floor.

There should be a little more stiffness/binding with the manual hubs locked in 2WD, but not as much as while the transfer case is locked in 4WD.

If it is binding as badly in 2WD as it does in 4WD then I would say your transfer case is not disengaging. Could be linkage, could be internal.

Thanks a lot for the response.

Messed around with it a little more today. I'm pretty sure all is well as far as basic function of the transfer case and was able to shift it into 2H and it stayed....also 4H is working fine as everything seems to be engaging and disengaging (no binding at all when hubs are unlocked)

Does the jeep have a transfer case drop?

If so, the shifter may be hitting the tub and not engaging properly when you pull it all the way back, pull up the 4wd shifter boot and look at the clearance between the lever and the floor board, you might have to notch the floor board a little to clear the shifter.

Also, the gear detents are very close together and you have to get a feel for it. I rarely use 4hi on mine so I don't remember what it feels like.

It is likely that the detent rails are worn or the detent ball might be. That should be a Dana 300 transfer case. There are parts available as well as exploded diagrams in the back of 4wd Hardware and Quadratec catalogs. You could also opt to install a twin stick shifter kit that will give you independent control over the front and rear axles.
FYI...if you want to know if the front wheel drive is disengaged at the case, spin the front driveshaft by hand. If spins, you are in 2wd.

2wd is tough to find sometimes. I had rotten shift bushings causing mine to bind up. I got new ones from 4wheel parts for .50 cents each. After that and a thourough greasing things worked much better. If you have any plastic battery post caps you can trim the ends and get away with that for a while (mine ran a couple months that way).

Back