727 in a cj?

DuffTrucks

Hey everybody, new member here. Great looking site! I'm putting a mopar 360 into my 84 cj. Will a 727s trans pan prevent me from using this trans? Thanks for any help.

I've heard that the reason the 727 can't be used is because the front driveshaft hits the transmission pan. I've also heard that this problem goes away when running a 3" or more lift because of the change in driveshaft angle.

I've only messed with one CJ (Scrambler) that was running a 727 (behind a 304). The driveshaft only cleared after we installed a 4" lift on the rig (3" would probably have sufficed). I don't remember the specific clearance amount as it's been about 5 years.

I've only messed with one CJ (Scrambler) that was running a 727 (behind a 304). The driveshaft only cleared after we installed a 4" lift on the rig (3" would probably have sufficed). I don't remember the specific clearance amount as it's been about 5 years.
did it do ok off road? any problems with the shaft hitting the pan while wheeling that you can remember?

It was a mall crawler. The owner decked it out and as far as I know, it's never been offroad since. :-|

It was a mall crawler. The owner decked it out and as far as I know, it's never been offroad since. :-|
thanks for the info. leaning towards doing the swap, hope i don't regret it! gotta ask around a little bit more before i make up my mind though.

Many people grind a bit off the pan edge to clear the driveshaft. If you swap to a LH drop front axle, it's not such a problem.

I installed a 727 with a Dana 300 behind a 304 in my 1981 CJ-5 a few years back. The jeep was set up with a full width Dana 44 front out of a FSJ Wagoneer and 14 bolt cab & chasis rear. I was running a 4" Superlift spring under lift and had no issues. By running a wider than stock CJ axle the front drive shaft was moved over a little to the passanger side due to the axle being a little wider than stock. The Jeep was great off-road. The guy I sold it to is still running that set up today.

Why Not (Chris)

well, i think i'm going to commit to doing the swap. the 727 may not be a perfect fit, but it's what i have and with the 4" lift it seems like it will work.

Should clearance be an issue, you can be creative with the driveshaft.

I had a really tight fit in my old CJ5 with a D300 behind a Turbo 350. I ended up grinding some of the case and the edges of the pan. I also used a "long spline" driveshaft with the male spline portion of the shaft passing thru the "tight area". IIRC, the male portion was only 1.635" OD. Even then, I took a grinder and removed some of the spline where it was really tight. First few times I flexed the rig hard (14" coilovers), I saw sparks fly where the shaft made contact :D Eventually, it self-clearanced.

Some situations even require a 2-piece driveshaft setup with a carrier bearing.

Back