'82 CJ5 body shot, need help deciding what to put on.

digimike

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but am the proud owner of a 82 CJ5 and I live in Minnesota where they use salt on the roads in winter......Yeah, tell me about it.
Ok, so with seats falling through the floor, chunks of body and frame flaking off and funny noises over every bump, me and my daughter are set to replace the frame and body to make it ok to drive in the winters and summer too.
I parked the Jeep a few years ago, but it ran like a champ and had no mechanical issues, just the body. Fiberglass comes to mind as the rusting is my main concern, but I have heard that there are issues with fiberglass as well. I do plan on using the Jeep off road occasionally (hunting and trails) but guess it will be on road 85% of the time.
I have seen the Aluminum tubs, and some Kevlar reinforced fiberglass stuff too, so now I am really conufsed.
Anyone have any bright ideas.

I don't think you'd have much of a problem with the fiberglass with light wheeling. You may have to work with fiberglass a bit depending on the manufacturer. I've heard some are better "bolt-ons" than others.

Personally, I'd go with steel unless you plan on keeping it another 25 years. Be sure give it a good washdown in all the nooks and crannies after winter.

Is your frame in good shape?

The front end of the frame looks solid and a spot in the middle looks questionable, but the rear of the frame by where the rear shackles attach are flaking through and crumbling. I think the frame needs to be replaced.
I'm starting to think maybe I should just buy another solid jeep and work to weather proof it for MN winters.(if that's possible) That is my main objective hear, to create something I do not have to park in the winter.
I am a little hesitant to go with the steel because of the corrosion issue still. But that's what I do not know. If the steel body will last 10-20 years taking care of it, how long will a fiberglass body last? My '78 Corvette's body is 29 years old and it is in great shape aside from needing paint. Don't know if the fiberglass Jeep body makers use those same high standards for their products though.
There are trail clubs in the area, and if my daughter gets into it, this CJ may get reworked to handle it. For now I want it as a driver and will down the road be a wedding gift to her.

fiber glass works fine if you take the time to ground EVERYTHING ! just get a tub from a REPUTABLE place (not JC Whitney !!!!! they sell tubs that are far inferior to say quadra tec or 4 wheelwhole salers. ) the kevlar tubs are the top chice if you have the coin..but if you have that then aluminum would be in reach ? same grounding issues and i would think a glass tub would be easier to make cosmetic repairs over aluminum ?

I ordered an Kevlar body from Shell Valley in Nebraska. They seem to stand behind their stuff and I got the impression they make the best.
The grill and dashboard will still be steel, and I can ground them to the frame easy enough. I supose anything else with a wire will need to be grounded too. Tail lights, fan motor? Or are you talking about stuff like the battery tray and windshield?

Back