Help building my cj5

bobbywljr

sorry, I am brand new here, so I am probably not where I need to be, but here goes...OK, I am in process of building a custom 1970 cj5.....total frame off, new frame and body tub....they are in process of being "line-x" application.....have a 405hp 350 with monster ss mega monster 700r transmission...have 33x12.5 BFG's......heres what I am needing....the strongest front and rear axle assemblies..DANA 60's ??...I am planning on 4:11 gears......looking for good lsd for front axle, and an aggressive lsd,,,AUBURN PRO SERIES ..YUKON DURI-GRIP?? DETROIT TRUETRAC ?? or a locker that is streetable...YUKON GRIZZLY, DETROIT LOCKER ?.....need optimum transfer case too......its a very new project, all I have is some boxes of parts, no pictures...but its a start.....any and all input would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Welcome to Jeepz.com Bobby. I've moved your post to it's own thread.

Sounds like a great project, upload some photos when you get a chance.

Being a '70 you may be dealing with a C channel frame, if it were mine, once the frame was off I'd look into at least gusseting in stress areas.

D60's are good strong axles for the kind of power you'll be running. You'll need to outboard the spring hangers and shackle hangers in order to mount a full-width axle up front. Install a HD steering box bracket while you're at it.

A detroit is a good locker for the rear, I'd go with the TrueTrac LSD up front.

Check out the Atlas transfer case, very strong and very short for your short wheelbase.

Thanks Bounty Hunter....I am really flying blind here....have never built any 4 x 4's.....Nova, Monte Carlo no prob.....but ALOT more stuff I have no experience with on 4 x 4......slow learning process...

I am thinking of staying a little lower to the ground.....wont be doing rock crawling or anything like that, don't need to be high....just up the mountains of West Virginia, Raleigh county primarily....maybe 31x11.5 or 12.5....very little, if any lift, just enough for tires to clear and give me a little travel room.....any ideas ??.....another reason I lean toward staying lower is center of gravity stability, although with the wide rubber I am really adding to that, and majority of driving will be up and down the hollers and traveling on two lane highway.......the upper holler I'm at is getting rougher and rougher with time...but still manageable without high lifted 4x4's.........any and all recommendations/ideas would be greatly appreciated...thanks again

from the type of wheeling you will be doing, and your tire size, I don't really see the need for dana60,s. I think a pair of wagoneer dana 44,s would do just fine. Look into boxing the frame.

Back