'85 CJ7 6 Backfires on downhill idle

ok in order mc2150 is the proper carb. i wrote it wrong and never changed it lol. 100 bucks at advance auto. rebuilt. you need to figure out hat year make model and engin size the 2150 came on. tell the guy at the counter all the info. be patient. there are plenty of pics on the web, dont be afraid to print a few out and match them up with whatever carb the pull out of a box. in CA they have very strict smog laws. if its an off road only toy the go ahead and change out the carb. if its going on the street, find a mechanic that will "work with you" . as a mech i will tell you its easy to change out the carbs. there are lots of write ups on the web. read them. and re read them. the do it and have someone who can tune the carb come over and tune it. the only thing you might have trouble with is the linkage. i can only say ask around and get a lil help if you can. i hope this helps .. let me know if you need anything.

... adjust the idle mixture adjustment screw (might be a screw with a spring on it)...On the original carb the adjustment screw would have been under a dowel that needed to be drilled out. If you got a new carb, it should be exposed.. (cross your fingers) ... snip

I don't see the idle adjustment screw or a plug.

I found an exploded parts for the carter carb to 1983. Looks a lot like mine.
See the exploded parts here:
http://www.thecriticalcrab.net/consign/jeep/carter_carb

Let me know if you can identify the adjustment screw by number.

I was playing around with the carb the other day. When it is idling variably, if I manually apply the choke and then release, it idles fine, then give it throttle and it returns to irradic. ???

Thanks again for all the attention and help.

36 and 37 are the idle adjustment screws and springs. There's one for each barrel.

Back