'87 front gearing

Thumper01

My '87 is an automatic so I believe the front gears are something like 3.54's. I would like to put 4.11's and an aussie locker. Do I need to change the carrier? And if so where can I get one? I'm installing a ford 8.8 rear end with 4.10's in the rear.

your 87 is a 6 cylinder? you probably have 3.07s like my wife and i both have/had in our automatic 6 cylinder wranglers.

as far as your other questions, i haven no idea on that. mine is still stock

and your tag says 3.54? i know the cherokees had those gears because their transmission is different but the only two wrangles i have experience on are 3.07.

No tag on it just was looking at specs online. Might be 3.07. I need to pull cover and check I guess

I think it's safe to assume 3.07
My 89 is a 6cyl/auto..
That's what it had (3:07) originally before I swapped axles w/a 94 (4cyl/manual) to get the 4:10s

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

i think i have read that it changes at the 3.55 gears but wait for someone who has actually done it because i am just going off memory of something read some where

Yes... The exact switch over point has been debated in another thread (Locker Question ) but regardless ...They all seem to agree that To go to 4.10 you'll have to switch...
I don't have any recommendations on sources/vendors as
I avoided that by just swapping the entire axle out... Lazy, but effective;-)

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Yes, you'll need the carrier for low gears. Easiest to find a donor 2.5L 5spd front axle and swap the entire axle or just the gears and carrier.

3.55 to 4.11 isn't much of a change, lot of time and $$ for a slight change.

Back